• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Finish On Tan Shoes

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a few pairs of brown shoes that I only condition and then buff with a horsehair brush. Maybe once in a while they get some cream to cover scuffs. I agree that brown shoes that are too shiny don't look proper and I think a regular regiment of conditioner really improves the patina.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Trust me, it is pretty special stuff. They even wrote a song about it:
"This video is not available in your country." MY goodness. must be pretty special.... I didn't know they censored stuff in HK...:S

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Whoever Matt is, and regardless of whether or not they were suede, I'm sure if he finished on a pair of shoes, the effect would certainly be smudgy

rimshot.gif

I don't know Matt personally, but I hear that his shoes have that "well worn" look...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Yeah I have a few pairs of brown shoes that I only condition and then buff with a horsehair brush. Maybe once in a while they get some cream to cover scuffs. I agree that brown shoes that are too shiny don't look proper and I think a regular regiment of conditioner really improves the patina.

OK, I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but what particular conditioner do you use? Is it a general leather conditioner for shoes, jackets, purses, etc, or specifically for shoes?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use Allen-Edmonds shoe cleaner conditioner. It's my favorite, although I haven't tried them all. I like that I can pick it up on my way home from work, but I also find that it works well. Lexol I have had less good experience with, even though it has a good reputation as a general-purpose leather conditioner.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I use Allen-Edmonds shoe cleaner conditioner. It's my favorite, although I haven't tried them all. I like that I can pick it up on my way home from work, but I also find that it works well. Lexol I have had less good experience with, even though it has a good reputation as a general-purpose leather conditioner.

Thanks for the response. I have leather cleaners and conditioners for jackets and my wife's purses, but I've never considered a conditioner for shoes nor had the guts to use what I have on my shoes.

That's silly thinking on my part, though, considering that my wife's purses are composed of much finer leather and cost 3-4 times as much as my shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads