• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matching BROWN BELTS with BROWN SHOES

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First let me say hello! I'm happy to find this forum and I can tell I will be spending considerable amount of time gaining all the knowledge given here.
teacha.gif

On to the topic at hand...I am an online shopper when it comes to pretty much anything from clothes to shoes and beyond. I find it very difficult to get the RIGHT shade of brown on both the belt and the shoes. Any advice on doing that other than going into a retail store?

Thanks guys.

Dr Gyggle

Reaction score
sale or return based on said requirement. Or walk into a store selling products to touch, see, smell. Simple really.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
I find that when you buy a reputable brand such as Allen Edmonds, they often make the matching Belt in identical finish & colour. Try to buy them as a pair. I bought a pair of fun tan Cole Haan driving shoes that were near impossible to match... I happened upon a Cheapo match at MEXX but was resigned to returning the damn things.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by "right." Some people obsess over precise matches between belt and shoes, and it can drive them bonkers. However, most around here and www.askandyaboutclothes.com find that it is unnecessary to strive for exact matches. Close is good. Dark brown to dark brown, mid-brown to mid-brown, tan to tan, etc....even if on has a hint of reddishness and the other doesn't, it's no bid deal. Nobody's going to notice, since the belt and shoes are physically separated by pants fabric. Furthermore, some members actually dislike perfect matches, as they think it looks contrived, like having a tie and pocket square made of the same fabric. I fall into the camp of "not trying too hard but not caring if others do."

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it very difficult to get the RIGHT shade of brown on both the belt and the shoes.
Personally, I don't like browns to match. But to make certain that you'll be satisfied and comfortable with your purchases, shopping in person is probably best.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a belt that matches the Polo Tellman reasonably well? It's a lighter tan color that I've had a hell of a time finding.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would match suede with suede, and black with black. As for brown, I wouldn't bother shooting for an exact match. I would not wear a dark brown belt with tan shoes or vice versa. But otherwise close enough is close enough. Crocodile is nice with calf or croc shoes. A shell belt is nice with shell shoes, though I wouldn't hesitate to wear a calf belt either.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have maybe 10 pairs of brown shoes of various shades from chestnut to dark oak (and everything in between). I have one brown belt that is a medium brown that I wear with all of these. If someone ever said to me "your belt is a shade lighter brown than your shoes" I'd find it very amusing.

Anders

Reaction score
To the OP, here is a thread I found last night that is helpful, especially Roger's post. I'm actually going through this exact same situation now. I bought the AE Delray in Chili and am trying to decide what belt to get today after work. Nordstrom's has the Leather Dress Belt in Chili (I'm assuming exact match) on sale for $56:
_61271.jpg
Macy's has a cheaper and probably lower quality Alfani for $20: http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/M...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg (I can't get the IMG link to work on this one) Normally I go with the higher quality item but I will go to both stores today after work and see which one I like for the price. I'm only afraid that the AE chili belt might be limiting to only Chili shoes while a darker brown could be more universal. On the other hand, those are my only brown pair and I don't plan on buying any in the near future.

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
I'm actually going through this exact same situation now. I bought the AE Delray in Chili and am trying to decide what belt to get today after work.

I would go with the AE belt from Nordstrom over the Alfani. The Alfani will be about the same quality as belts you can get from Marshall's for $10. If that's going to be your only pair of brown shoes, you might as well get a chili colored belt.

I actually own a chili-color belt that I got at Burlington Coat Factory for about $10. It's one of those obscure Italian-sounding made in China brands, but the leather is decent and the color comes pretty close to AE chili, so I'm satisfied.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years, I've purchased belts in the same way that I've purchased ties and handkerchiefs; when I see one that appeals to me for whatever reason I buy it without worrying about when or with what I might wear it. The upshot is that I'm almost always able to find a pleasing combination of shoes and belt without leaving my closet. If I have one "rule", it is never to wear a belt that is noticeably lighter in shade than the shoes with which it is being worn. Matching can sometimes work quite well and at other times appear too studied or contrived, but, in the area of close to exact matches, I do like the appearance of suede belts with suede shoes. I also, however, often wear belts of smooth leather, lizard or crocodile with my suedes as long as, in keeping with the rule, the belt is the same shade or darker than the shoes. And although I have no need for an "all purpose" brown belt, I have found that dark brown lizard and crocodile belts look well with brown shoes of virtually all shades from light tan to seal dark, with the possible but not invariable exception of red/orange browns which usually call for a belt in the same family. Finally, while I personally do not like burgundy shoes, including shell in the traditional wine color, if I were to wear that color I think it would call for a very close match. And as to black shoes, which are not the subject of the original question but, hey, why not stray, I prefer mat finished belts with mat finished shoes and glossy belts with glossy shoes. I've gone on too long; otherwise I'd write about what color suspender tabs are "correct" with shoes of various browns.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
... Furthermore, some members actually dislike perfect matches, as they think it looks contrived, like having a tie and pocket square made of the same fabric. I fall into the camp of "not trying too hard but not caring if others do."
As Miss Manners says, it's not good manners to have everything perfect.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
finding exact brown shades isn't important, but like others have been saying, finding and matching textures should be.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
It depends on what you mean by "right." Some people obsess over precise matches between belt and shoes, and it can drive them bonkers. However, most around here and www.askandyaboutclothes.com find that it is unnecessary to strive for exact matches. Close is good. Dark brown to dark brown, mid-brown to mid-brown, tan to tan, etc....even if on has a hint of reddishness and the other doesn't, it's no bid deal. Nobody's going to notice, since the belt and shoes are physically separated by pants fabric. Furthermore, some members actually dislike perfect matches, as they think it looks contrived, like having a tie and pocket square made of the same fabric. I fall into the camp of "not trying too hard but not caring if others do."

I am actually a bit concerned about the fact that my only brown suede belt matches my only pair of brown suede shoes too exactly (I bought the belt separately from the shoes and when I came home I found to my horror that they were almost of the same shade of brown).

I have three brown calf belts, one of them dark brown, the other one more like "cognac" or "whisky" or yellowish brown, and the third one very dark burgundy/oxblood. With these three belts I think that I manage to match all my brown and burgundy shoes in a way I feel happy with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads