• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

margutti

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll post pics sometime tonight or tomorrow. first i have to say the fabric is soft and beautiful. i went with a check pattern by sictess (s52) for 95 euros. the fit is excellent and the stitching looks good, though not as small as some others. double needle stitching on side seams. the fit on the cuffs is the best of any shirt i own. it's more snug than i am used to, but it looks and feels great. also, the collar does not have removable stays, but some of the other models do. the MOP buttons are a little smaller than the norm. 2 gripes: they make no effort at pattern matching on any seams. also, the website order form asks you to input your neck size, but the shirt i recieved used the my neck size as the collar size. in other words, though my neck measures about 15.5", i require a shirt size of 16.5. the shirt i recieved is a size 39 (15.5) i e-mailed margutti to explain the problem with the hope that they would replace the collar if i sent it back, and that they would cover the shipping on this. i did explain the misunderstanding and suggested they should change their website. i got a response a little while ago saying basically, 'you asked for a 39 and i made a 39. send it back if you want.' there are 3 pics in 3 different albums.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually took a tailoring class long ago. i only lasted a couple of weeks before dropping out from extreme boredom. sewing is too monotonous for me. anyway, our final project for the class was to make a plaid shirt. it was to be plaid because our instructor was to teach us how to pattern match on all seams. it's strange to me that pattern matching should be so rare in the shirt world.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I agree, great collar.  If the fabric is as great as you say, I might overlook the pattern mis-match and try one out anyway, maybe in a solid.

Re:  collar fitting, I believe most directions recommend measuring around your neck with two fingers inserted, or leaving enough room to insert two fingers.  Use that size when talking to tailors, rather than actual neck measurement.  Do any of the shirt experts out there know why this is the case for necks, but not any other measurements?  

edit: extra props to matadorpoeta for hosting on .mac instead of imageshack. We 7% have to stay strong.

Tom

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a very nice fabric, but the shirt ended up costing $160 including MOP buttons and shipping. i don't think it's worth it.

i know of at least one website that asks for your actual skin measurement for the neck. they then decide what size to make. the margutti site should say "collar", rather than "neck", where you put in the measurement, to avoid confusion.

jekv12

Reaction score
Same for me, the link didn't work. Not sure how homepage.mac allocates resources, but perhaps a data transfer threshold was exceeded.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry about the link. i accidentally erased my homepage the day after making it. i'm new to mac and not good with computers to begin with.
blush.gif
an update on the collar. mr. margutti sent me a very cordial (sp?) e-mail asking me to send back the shirt so he could make things right. he answers e-mails very promptly and i can only give them the highest marks for customer service. i'll be experimentig with a couple of more on-line shirtmakers in the near future and i'll be sure to post pics when i recieve the shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics