• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manual Transmissions...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shifting Appreciation:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

honestly I don't do much heel toe these days... but once it a while i'll instinctively break it out when driving alone around the empty warehouse lined streets parts of brooklyn at night.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^
+1
Nothing like knowing how to rev match on a manual transmission.
Blipping the throttle and hearing the engine respond with a perfectly smooth downshift :drool:

Care to expand on this? I taught myself to drive manual and all 12 of my cars have been manual (I count the Rangies as trucks) but never heard of this. Maybe I do it but I'm not sure what you mean here re rev matching.

EDIT: I think that vid explained it. No rev matching (at least not the way he did it) for me, the M3 moneyshift still haunts me.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think with today's technology, the manual transmission is on its way out. i have a car with DCT and it literally has no weaknesses. if you want to be nitpicky, there's a light clunk when shifting between N and 1 and sometimes 2-1.

how long it will take to die is the real question. i am a car geek and wherever i go i talk to people about their cars. there is not a single country that i've been to (Europe, Asia, South America) other than the US where manuals were not the majority of the cars i've rode around in. i bet you that most of the world's population don't even know what a DCT is. the tech is still pricey and more prevalent in the luxury/sport marques at the moment

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Care to expand on this? I taught myself to drive manual and all 12 of my cars have been manual (I count the Rangies as trucks) but never heard of this. Maybe I do it but I'm not sure what you mean here re rev matching.
EDIT: I think that vid explained it. No rev matching (at least not the way he did it) for me, the M3 moneyshift still haunts me.

Not sure which video you're referring to, but it's just the concept of revving your engine higher to match the transmission's RPMs. Since the lower gear will require higher RPMs, if you don't rev-match, you're putting un-due stress the moment the clutch engages since the engine abruptly has to match RPMs.. hence the money shift when you go from, say, 6th to 3rd. The pistons will just fly out of the engine.

You'll know you've fucked up rev-match downshifting when the car clunks and jerks abruptly until the RPMs stabilize.

Edit: Ahh, I see. The senna video. Yeah, he's heel-toeing which is an advanced manual technique. You're basically braking and downshifting at the same time by pressing the accelerator and brake pedal at the same time while using the clutch. Otherwise, you're forced to brake abruptly, quickly lift your foot to rev-match, and brake some more if necessary.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. I guess it also depends on whether you have a high revving engine or not. With the SAAB turbo I can downshift if needed and the revs match once I throw the lever. But I'm not trying that heel-toe brake-gas nonsense. My feet are way too big for that :)

Last edited:

PooJou

Reaction score
Why people chose manual instead of auto

1. Autos cost more - not anymore
2. Autos drank more petrol - most standard clutch pack autos match or have an insignificant disadvantage against manual cars. New age roboticised manuals ala. DSG improve on them significany
3. Autos were slower and not sporty - true still in a "the auto in my cruze is slow" but it's a cruze come on.
4.Cars didn't come in auto - they all do now

Pretty much the people who drive manual nowadays have still have one of the above rules applicable to them.

The guys in this thread drive manuals, like I do, by choice.

Sad but true.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points, and there are slush box autos that are more efficient than a manual, mainly due to having more gears.

One more point to add: manuals are more durable and serviceable if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Rizzy

Reaction score
The AP2 was always so much more manageable on a day to day basis. I remember having to literally plow through gears to get anywhere in the AP1.

That said, the AP1 was always slightly more exciting to drive "liberally"; that is until it would break traction on an on-ramp and kill you of course
bounce2.gif

Ap2, its an 06, bigger engine, drive by wire, traction control, better headlights, bumper, etc.
I love it for the weekends.

jjr4884

Reaction score
I refuse (and will continue to refuse) to buy a car that doesn't have three pedals and a shifter.

Same here... love it and will never get sick of it. 2nd nature... you have to see my left foot when i am starting up a car that is an automatic.. i look like a dog getting rubbed on his belly lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads