• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManU or Chelsea

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
I. hate. man. u.

I'm a Real fan so I could care less, I just hate Ronaldo and want to karate chop him in his gizzard.

Does anyone know why Park wasn't active for this game?

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viva Ronaldo
Viva Ronaldo
When he's on the wing
Hear Utd sing
Viva Ronaldo

Nemanja Oh Oh Oh
Nemanja Oh Oh Oh
He comes from Serbia
He'll ******* murder ye

bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Toddy

Reaction score
A mate of mine is a reporter, this is what he thought,

They went into the last day of the league separated only by goal difference and when it came to the final of the biggest cup competition in the world, the margin between Manchester United and Chelsea was somehow even thinner. After 120 minutes of gruelling football that ebbed and flowed between these two powerhouses, they could only be broken apart in the cruellest of ways. Every penalty shoot-out must have a loser and, even though it was Nicolas Anelka who missed the crucial spot-kick, it was John Terry who crumpled into tears in Avram Grant's arms, shoulders heaving with emotion as he replayed, again and again, the moment when he could have won the European Cup for Chelsea.

In truth, it shouldn't even have got that far after a first half in which Manchester United were dominant in every department. Sir Alex Ferguson surprised everyone with a 4-4-2 that dared Chelsea to make use of the extra man in the middle, while romping down the flanks, notably on the left at a startled and out-of-his depth Michael Essien. There could be no complaints when Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the 26th minute, but Sir Alex would have been furious at the way that two golden opportunities, one for Michael Carrick, one for Carlos Tevez, were squandered.

Chelsea could very easily have gone into half-time three goals down, but you write this team off at your peril. When the ball pinballed in the United penalty area Frank Lampard, as always, raced in to slam home an equaliser right before the break. Chelsea were a different side in the second half. Stronger, harder, faster, more composed. This was their season encapsulated; a poor start, a lifeline, a ferocious comeback against the odds. Unfortunately, the metaphor extends all the way. In the league, in the Carling Cup and now in Europe, Chelsea have sweated blood in pursuit of victory, but finished second on each occasion.

Their collective bravery was more than matched by the penalty-takers. It takes enormous guts to tell the manager that you want to be one of the five to play, what was in this case very much a game of Russian roulette. It takes something else entirely to step up for sudden death. Anderson, just 20, was the first to jump up for spot-kick six and he blasted it down the centre. Salomon Kalou, just two years older, was even better.

Chelsea deserve enormous credit for their efforts, but it may be sucked into the slipstream of the plaudits that go whizzing towards Old Trafford. Such is the curse of defeat. Only the astonishing, surely never to be repeated heroics of 1999 can overshadow a season that has delivered the two most prestigious trophies on offer. Twenty two years in, and Sir Alex is simply getting better and better. Pitchside, with the cold Moscow rain pouring from his brow, he would not be drawn on how this team compares with the 1999 vintage, and understandably so. How could you choose between the two?

The true depth of this victory and the scale of this magnificent achievement sank in as the red shirts were led up the steps towards the trophy by Sir Bobby Charlton, club director, club legend and survivor of the Munich air crash fifty years ago that robbed the club of Busby's babes. Dignified as always, he refused to allow Michel Platini to adorn him with a medal, stood aside and gestured to the players to pass through. Before the trophy was finally lifted, Ronaldo came to embrace him, two generations of superstars joined together in triumph. This was Manchester United's night; for the players, for the fans, for Munich. Football, eh? Bloody hell.

water

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Park wasn't active for this game?
Because Ferguson was more interested in winning this game then selling Man U shirts in the far east?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was possibly the worst game of football I have ever seen; simply appalling, excepting the last 20 minutes of the first half. Of course, I'm not surprised, but that was hardly a good advertisement for the Premier League.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
That was possibly the worst game of football I have ever seen; simply appalling, excepting the last 20 minutes of the first half. Of course, I'm not surprised, but that was hardly a good advertisement for the Premier League.

Idiot!

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Idiot!
Thank you for being civil. I suppose I should have mentioned that I was rooting for Man Utd. (not a fan, but I hate Chelsea and have been rooting for Man Utd in the Prem since Arsenal's collapse). I still stand by the view that it was a poorly contested match. The bad blood between the clubs was evident, and unsporting behavior prevailed. There were far too many interruptions, fouls, arguments, injuries and "injuries". The nature of the game was not appropriate to the level of prestige of the European Cup. I've definitely seen better games involving Premier League teams. Although, none of those games involved Chelsea...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads