• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a World Class Tie!

tystyle

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I wanna share this with you and get some feedback. Detailed opinions.

I sent this to be turned into silk.

Once I receive it, I’m turning it into a tie. Note it’ll be cut on the bias, so try & look at it in a 45 degree angle. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

House of KYDOS

Reaction score
I think its a good start for a nice tie. If you ever need any help or have a question, I'll be happy to assist

best of luck!

paris

Last edited:

tystyle

Reaction score
And this was over the weekend; I changed it a little to make it look better. Call it work in progress!

House of KYDOS

Reaction score
Hang on. you designed your own pattern? very good
Why this pattern, if i may ask?

tystyle

Reaction score
I received the fabric this afternoon, sewed it incompletely, and got you some pictures. Excuse my photography.

Tell me what you think and also comparing it to this other pattern, this $1000000 tie.

I know Kydos, David from Sam Hober and others are laughing hysterically, that’s okay!

tystyle

Reaction score
Made the patterns, and some other things too.. A shorter list is what I didn't make, which is the silk itself, printing on it, and the interfacing.

For the design, small looked good with the colors. Should've been a bit larger; that's why I changed it.

House of KYDOS

Reaction score
I received the fabric this afternoon, sewed it incompletely, and got you some pictures. Excuse my photography.

Tell me what you think and also comparing it to this other pattern, this $1000000 tie.

I know Kydos, David from Sam Hober and others are laughing hysterically, that’s okay!

Excuse me but i can never laugh at another mans labor and efforts. Did you finish this tie all by yourself? I mean it looks good

paris

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tystyle,

A great start.

Making ties is a bit like making model ships and airplanes which most of us did as boys.

You have a lot of creative energy.

You may want to put some time into checking the balance of the tie - as you are making it.

The tipping is OK but is there a reason that you did not go with self-tipping? On occasion we have requests for a different tipping that are well thought out and provide some nice contrasts but in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What type of interlining are you using?

The design size is fine no need to go larger.

As you make more ties you will gradually see small improvements.

Again good work.

tystyle

Reaction score
Tystyle,

A great start.

Making ties is a bit like making model ships and airplanes which most of us did as boys.

You have a lot of creative energy.

You may want to put some time into checking the balance of the tie - as you are making it.

The tipping is OK but is there a reason that you did not go with self-tipping? On occasion we have requests for a different tipping that are well thought out and provide some nice contrasts but in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What type of interlining are you using?

The design size is fine no need to go larger.

As you make more ties you will gradually see small improvements.

Again good work.

Thanks very much.

Closing the tie simply took me the longest; until now it’s not closed completely!

Considering the many options, I chose only 2- background color and self-tipping. My reason is the keeper. They required equal work; and I made both for this tie, but attached the BG color one to picture show how “custom made” the tipping can be.

I’d love to know who supplies yours (& kydos’) interlining. I contacted a few producers looking for quality, but it’s early for me to purchase heavy. Here I used wool.

Don’t you think the design is blurry? I tried to detail it more..that’s why I increased the size a little.

tystyle

Reaction score
Glad you like it Paris (House of Kydos). Thanks!

This is twisting squared dots - another work in progress

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks very much.

Closing the tie simply took me the longest; until now it’s not closed completely!

Considering the many options, I chose only 2- background color and self-tipping. My reason is the keeper. They required equal work; and I made both for this tie, but attached the BG color one to picture show how “custom made” the tipping can be.

I’d love to know who supplies yours (& kydos’) interlining. I contacted a few producers looking for quality, but it’s early for me to purchase heavy. Here I used wool.

Don’t you think the design is blurry? I tried to detail it more..that’s why I increased the size a little.

I don't know any luxury wool interlining weavers who provide small amounts.

You may want to consider using inexpensive fabric to make learning ties first...

The design is not one I would have made but that is your choice - if you like it then it is fine.

Last edited:

tystyle

Reaction score
Check this out- from the one design, I shaped up a few others. These look nice. Grouped them together with the same set of colors (blue, red, grey, white, indigo) highlighting the motif.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads