• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Sweater Trimmer

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're talking about my post on this thread about how to choose sweaters. Knits are their own beasts, but generally, much of the logic in altering a jacket or shirt will apply to knits. Taking in the sides is the same for taking in a shirt - they just cut the sides open, take it in, and the sew it up again. Like shirts, this often comes with slimming down the sleeves. The knit tailor I go to charges $14 for this, and it comes out very, very well. It's not a complicated alteration at all. A more complicated job would be taking in the shoulders or shortening the sleeves, but this can also be done. An even more complicated job would be making the armholes higher. This kind of job is done in the way it's executed on a jacket - you take out the collar, take off the sleeve, cut the shoulder open, trim off the top of the shoulder, resew the shoulder together, and then reattach the sleeves and collar. Depending on how your knit is constructed, however, this might not be possible. Note that doing this will also shorten the length of the knit. Relatedly, if you only want to shorten the length of the knit, this will depend on how the ribbing at your hem is attached. Your tailor will be able to tell you if this is possible or even advisable. Like jackets, if you make sure a knit fits you in your chest and shoulders, altering the piece isn't terribly difficult or expensive, presuming you've found a good knit tailor. I've done some rounds with finding good tailors in my area. Some have been recommended to me through StyleForum, some through high end shops such as Saks. Remember these stores often have a specific shop they send all their stuff to, and they'll be able to tell you who they rely on. I've found that it's best to send in some "testers" first before handing over my nicer pieces. You need to be able to examine how nice their work is. Obviously, training your eye for tailoring can take some time. Wear the thing for a month or two and pay specially close attention to how clean the details are or whether things start to fall apart. Be extremely critical. Once you find someone who is excellent, it would be nice if you could recommend them in a thread that is about tailoring in your city. It's always nice to make SF a better resource for others. Lastly, if you can't find anyone in your city to alter your knits, try these guys: http://www.knitalteration.com/ I've never used their services, and they seem much more expensive than the people I go to, but they seem like an option if you live in the boonies. Addendum: I can't imagine throwing any of my knits in the washer and dryer, but to each their own. You guys wearing cotton knits or something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads