• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, I got a pair from TLB late last year and have faced some pretty bad QC issues. I posted about them here https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...-thread-tutorials-photos-etc.228153/page-1515. The shoes do seem very well made otherwise, but bad leather finishing is quite a serious issue IMO. Have contacted them to see if they can do anything

Don't really understand what you mean here. When I look at your pictures, read what you've done and your conclusions, and the input you've been given by for example DW, it looks like you've unfortunately did a mistake with the way you polished the shoe, isn't that right? I don't follow how it is a "bad leather finishing" from TLB's side?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't really understand what you mean here. When I look at your pictures, read what you've done and your conclusions, and the input you've been given by for example DW, it looks like you've unfortunately did a mistake with the way you polished the shoe, isn't that right? I don't follow how it is a "bad leather finishing" from TLB's side?

I believe he's saying TLB possibly covered up a stain with their factory polish job. When some of that factory polish was scuffed it revealed the darkened leather.

Edit: I don't know now, I read further and it sounds like the use of Saphir mirror shine stripped off the factory finish, not sure how this is TLBs fault or problem.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe he's saying TLB possibly covered up a stain with their factory polish job. When some of that factory polish was scuffed it revealed the darkened leather.

Edit: I don't know now, I read further and it sounds like the use of Saphir mirror shine stripped off the factory finish, not sure how this is TLBs fault or problem.

Yeah the latter is what I read, and see, as well (or specifically combining it with too much water too quickly in a wrong way, which brakes down the finish and goes into the grain, seen it happen before though not very common).

It differs a bit on how much cream and waxes that is put on in a factory. TLB is not a factory that use a lot of it, which could perhaps make it a bit more sensitive to a miss in the treatment as seem to have happened here. But it's not a faulty leather finishing.

To OP, I think you should try to strip down the shoes with for example Saphir renomat or similar (no need to use something as strong as acetone, if you do it carefully with renomat it's enough, and less stressful for the leather), nourish them thouroughly with for example renovateur or Bick 4, then put on several very thin layers of a good pigmented shoe cream (don't think you need to dye them dark), and then more carefully add wax with less water and let dry longer between layers. I hope this would solve it!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s poor quality control . The finishing is up for debate. But then I lean towards this being a fault of the manufacturer. the heel does not look good at all . The finishing is quite bad

tomyamsoup

Reaction score

Yeah the latter is what I read, and see, as well (or specifically combining it with too much water too quickly in a wrong way, which brakes down the finish and goes into the grain, seen it happen before though not very common).

It differs a bit on how much cream and waxes that is put on in a factory. TLB is not a factory that use a lot of it, which could perhaps make it a bit more sensitive to a miss in the treatment as seem to have happened here. But it's not a faulty leather finishing.

To OP, I think you should try to strip down the shoes with for example Saphir renomat or similar (no need to use something as strong as acetone, if you do it carefully with renomat it's enough, and less stressful for the leather), nourish them thouroughly with for example renovateur or Bick 4, then put on several very thin layers of a good pigmented shoe cream (don't think you need to dye them dark), and then more carefully add wax with less water and let dry longer between layers. I hope this would solve it!

Thanks for the suggestions. Would a lighter coloured cream would be able to cover the dark stain though? I have saphir cream polish, would that work? Also, of course I acknowledge that it was my actions that removed the colour; it's not like it just fell off by itself. But what I'm trying to say is that this happens way too easily for a shoe at this price point. I can try making a video to show how easily this happens if anyone really wants to see it. That said, I genuinely don't think that its a chronic problem from TLB. To be fair, the shoes look well made (apart from the heel) and it seems like just a bit of bad luck with this pair. Not trying to stop anyone from purchasing but just be a bit more careful when polishing I suppose :)

bantone

Reaction score
@Burzan @j ingevaldsson thank you both for helping me make my purchase. I just received my TLB Mallorca Double Monk Keatons in a 10 and they fit wonderfully at first wear to my surprise considering I have flat feet and generally put an insert in. They came darker than I expected, but they were advertised as brown and that is not a complaint because in person they look gorgeous.

uoJSOTz.jpg

lLkUdBA.jpg

OTNWC9k.jpg

I paid $340 for these which is amazing considering I was entertaining spending $600 for some Sid Mashburn Double Monks which were created by Alfred Sargent. I'm glad I didn't because I can spend that money and buy another shoe ;)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Would a lighter coloured cream would be able to cover the dark stain though? I have saphir cream polish, would that work? [...]

Some of the dark stain should be removed with the renomat. And you shouldn't use a light coloured cream, but a similar or perhaps preferable slightly darker cream than the shoe. Saphir is good, especially Medaille d'Or has a lot of pigment in it.

@Burzan @j ingevaldsson thank you both for helping me make my purchase. I just received my TLB Mallorca Double Monk Keatons in a 10 and they fit wonderfully at first wear to my surprise considering I have flat feet and generally put an insert in. They came darker than I expected, but they were advertised as brown and that is not a complaint because in person they look gorgeous.

uoJSOTz.jpg

lLkUdBA.jpg

OTNWC9k.jpg

I paid $340 for these which is amazing considering I was entertaining spending $600 for some Sid Mashburn Double Monks which were created by Alfred Sargent. I'm glad I didn't because I can spend that money and buy another shoe ;)

Really nice ones, congrats! Yeah for you in the US buying TLB from Europe without the VAT, and no customs since below $800, means superb value for the money.

tomyamsoup

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thought it was only fair to provide an update on my situation. Yeossal and TLB have kindly agreed to replace the shoes at no extra cost. They have been very professional throughout and I'm confident of purchasing again in the future knowing that they stand behind their product.

misiuacademy

Reaction score
First wear of the Artista 107 on the picasso last. It is absolutely fantastic for the money. Surprisingly good arch support for my foot as well. A little lower instep as you can see on the lacing, but my right foot has 0.5 cm difference there.

Edit: True To Size. UK 7 on Carmina Rain, Carlos Santos 234/401, Cheaney 103F, Loake Jockey.

Photo 2019-04-16, 11 53 39.jpg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First wear of the Artista 107 on the picasso last. It is absolutely fantastic for the money. Surprisingly good arch support for my foot as well. A little lower instep as you can see on the lacing, but my right foot has 0.5 cm difference there.

Edit: True To Size. UK 7 on Carmina Rain, Carlos Santos 234/401, Cheaney 103F, Loake Jockey.

View attachment 1162510
Looks very sleek. Is that brown or burgundy ?

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of TLB shoes, the model 107 Artista on Picasso last, Burgundy.

Very nice build quality, leather, design, and very comfortable on the first wear. I think it's the money well-spent and can be considered great value-for-money, especially at its price.

Now I'm curious about their normal ready-to-wear line :)

DSCF1243-4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads