• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MADE IN CHINA - That dreadful print on the label

Status
Not open for further replies.

keagz08

Reaction score
Hi

I'm Keagan, 22, from Cape Town. I'm new to this forum and it's about time I joined. I'm a junior in IT so I don't wear suits or anything too formal very often. I'm usually in a V-Neck T, slim fit/skinny trousers and somewhat stylish shoes/boots (no sneakers or running shoes). Enough about me! I'd like to get your opinion on something...

I just wanted to get your take on clothes and accessories which are Made In China? I'm been trying to avoid them for the last few months because I'm not sure about the build quality. I'd buy something cheap if it was Made In China but as soon as stuff gets a little more pricey and I see that on the label I walk away from it no matter how much I like it.

Am I wrong? What's your opinion on stuff that comes out of China in terms of quality and more importantly value for money? What percentage of the clothes and accessories you buy come from the People's Republic?

So I guess the bottom line is, should I really care if something is made in China especially when it's a little more pricey? Not expensive, just not cheap?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you search around this has been done many times, however, as a general rule of thumb MIC is not going to be at the same level of quality as something MII or certainly not MIF. That said, some people like getting disposable, less-expensive stylish clothes from China. I wear nothing made there, because it always looks bad in a year, at least in my experience.

If you're just starting out at age 22, I wonder if you can avoid it, however? It's not the worst thing in the world, especially at that age, as your fashion sensibility will likely be changing a lot. Your biggest investments should be nice shoes, maybe a blazer if you want to step up your game, and eventually a watch but not everyone agrees on that last point.

Finally, dress for the position you want, not to be junior for too long. :)

4characters

Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread, I personaly try to never buy from china or other slave nations unless I am supporting is the person that would have otherwize been a slave. In other words I would support artisans/crafts people.

My take on getting quality new stuff cheep :
-check Ebay--- buying stuff from ebay can be realy cheap, example I just perchased a $150 pair of N&F jeans for about $70 made in Canada from selvedge from Japan.. also made in china stuff from ebay is often ok, but there may also be better alternatives
-buy someting durable--- like ironheart jeans that will last years if you treat them well
-example-- White's boots of Spokan, WA. are wonderfull and last years, sometimes even decades
- buy fewer things and more nice things-- Haris tweed jacket-Sotland, Whites Boots of Spokan,Wa., Alden shoes-US, heavy japanese jeans from ebay, fine wool pants.

buying from china is often easyer, the question you need to ask yourself is do you care about people in other countries?

some say that the free market makes life better for everyone everywhere or atleast will someday... but can we stand buy while our fellow man, woman, and child are being mistreated and abused, raped and inslaved?

some say yes, some say no....

Chances are you will get some people talking about how stupid it is to care if stuff is made in china, but I say GOOD JOB! for trying to avoid stuff made in china!

Last edited:

Alphataru

Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread, I personaly try to never buy from china or other slave nations unless I am supporting is the person that would have otherwize been a slave. In other words I would support artisans/crafts people.

Factory workers in China are 'slave' labor? Please stop talking about **** you know nothing about.

In terms of OP's question, you should learn to judge quality yourself. It will take time, but eventually, you will be able to tell from stitching and feel of material how good it was built.

VCircuit

Reaction score
Quote:
I personaly try to never buy from china or other slave nations...the question you need to ask yourself is do you care about people in other countries?
I mean the flipside of this is that you're otherizing China as a "slave nation" as if wage slavery, exploitation of immigrant labor, etc. is not an American thing. Boycots in particular are tricky because it's often not obvious how the boycot plans to put pressure in the right places to affect actual change; more often than not participating in a boycot is merely a redemptive act for the consumer ("I don't participate in the system") rather than a strategy for justice.

If you "care about people in other countries" then I hope your involvement extends beyond personal purchasing strategies, and if you are involved in more substantial ways then i don't think buying Chinese should be damning. These days I only participate in boycots if there's an explicit call for them from the ground.

This doesn't really belong here but w/e

4characters

Reaction score
"A necessitous man is not a free man (Franklin D. Roosevelt)"

I don't boycott, I just buy what I want to support.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask where those hideous Nikes that you love so damn much were made?

4characters

Reaction score
Korea or Communist China, they are vintage 18 year old 1995 shoes that my father perchased not realizing that they where made by necessitous labor...
buying stuff that is made in china from a third party(like ebay) I think is just fine...

I just prchased a new pair of shoes, hand made in USA....
White's boots vintage line packers.

4characters

Reaction score
oh, looks like we have the troll squad...... hoodyear and Distorbiant

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if your dad didn't know about it, that makes the slave labor okay?

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, looks like we have the troll squad...... hoodyear and Distorbiant
You thanked Keagan for starting this thread but did you even bother to read his post past the title before firing off your xenophobic rant? His was a sensible question (albeit one that's been asked before) of disparities in quality. You derailed the thread to talk ethics--about which in this particular case you know nothing, by the way--but I'm the troll?

Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
ok talk about what you see as ethics, all knowing troll...

stop hating and start contributing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads