• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M&R Tailors & Alterations in Sydney

swooc

Reaction score
i'm thinking of giving these guys a try with alterating the shoulders (to remove a fold). anyone want to give me a heads up before i go?

we need a kim alterations genius here in sydney :p.

Smudge

Reaction score
I went to see M&R today and was impressed. He's going to re-pitch the sleeves and balance the back of a suit of mine. I'll report back once I pick up.

FWIW he (Maher) is ex-Henry Bucks and still does their alterations.

Smudge

Reaction score
Pleased to report favourably of my experience with Maher @ M&R tailors on King Street. I'm no expert on tailoring but am happy with the results of the work I had done (see below - photos to follow; alas I didn't take any "before" photos which admittedly would have been much more helpful). Very good customer service: good balance of listening to me with making his own suggestions. He impressed upon me to come back to see him if I was not happy with anything and he would fix it.

Fyi work I had done included:

Suit 1 (new OTR suit)
Re-pitched sleeves
More suppression on jacket
Balance back of jacket
Re-hemmed trousers for a much better fit

Suit 2 (2 year old cheapy MTM suit from HK)
Balance back of jacket
Take in shoulder
Re-hemmed trousers for a much better fit

I will be going back.

RayRay

Reaction score
I'm currently getting some pants re cut/made at the moment and am pleased with the overall service...

He mentions he also makes suits... Around $1,500 for a fully canvassed suit... Might give it a try in a few months when i need to get some new suits...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RayRay
I'm currently getting some pants re cut/made at the moment and am pleased with the overall service...

He mentions he also makes suits... Around $1,500 for a fully canvassed suit... Might give it a try in a few months when i need to get some new suits...

Interesting. Horn buttons, too?

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Interesting. Horn buttons, too?

Not too sure at all... Ill ask him when i pick up my pants...

Smudge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RayRay

Ditto and you've answered my next question of him.... I suppose you could always ask to see some of his MTM work...

JTA

Reaction score
On recommendation from a member in this forum I visited Maher and had a pleasant chat with the lovely chap. Straightforward and honest in his opinion though I haven't tried his service however from the conversation, he is knowledgeable on the tailoring matters and will not hesitate to tell you what alteration can be done and what could not.

Favourable discussion I may say thus will come back for alteration and one day in the future may give a try of his bespoke service.

During my visit, I saw a suit he tailored (my understanding he measures, drafts and cuts the garment) for a client (solid navy blue in Dormeuil fabric).
Fully canvassed; hand pick-stitching along the lapel, pockets and seams; narrow lapel; handmade button hole (sleeve buttons are machine-made but for some additional $ he is happy to do handmade one). Didn't pay much attention on the details of the trousers aside from flat front and neatly tailored (zipped though).

Unfortunately didn't see the fit either thus could not comment on how good he is at capturing the measurements and whether the armhole is narrow or not (the armhole seam was hand-stitched also).

He did mention that the jacket canvas (horsehair) is basted with machine and consisted of three layers (didn't really understand this but he shown me these canvases) and that his preferred style is soft constructed style (suitable for Australia weather and considering his Mediterranean background, he learned his trade from his father, a tailor from Lebanon) though he is able to craft a structured one.

JTA

Reaction score
Pricewise, he is reasonable and the other appeal for bespoke is that he accepts CMT. His customer based are people from media industry.

Learn my lesson, now I prefer to pay a bit more with satisfying end result rather than paying low price yet I have to throw away my clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads