• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lowndes

qdogg29

Reaction score
I've read a few threads concerning the C&J Lowndes. The look appeals to me very much. However, although I typically wear a D in width, I have a high in-step. I don't necessarily think getting wider shoes will do the trick, which is good since this particular last runs narrow. I may be mistaken. Please help me, quality shoes are de rigeur to any wardrobe.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by qdogg29
I've read a few threads concerning the C&J Lowndes. The look appeals to me very much. However, although I typically wear a D in width, I have a high in-step. I don't necessarily think getting wider shoes will do the trick, which is good since this particular last runs narrow. I may be mistaken. Please help me, quality shoes are de rigeur to any wardrobe.

I'm sorry, but what's your actual question?

Are you asking whether a pair of C&J Lowndes will fit your feet or not?

My feet sound rather similar to yours - I can wear Ferragamo Tramezzas (which are typically regarded as being narrow) without any problems, as they tend to have a higher instep, but I often have difficulties with English shoes as they tend to have lower insteps. As far as I am aware, the Lowndes only comes in a UK E/US D width and as you've noted, the 348 last is a little narrower than some other lasts.

Whilst I don't have a pair of Lowndes, I can say that monkstrap shoes are more forgiving than balmoral/oxford style shoes as the straps mean that you have more flexibility with fastening the shoes. I've got a pair of Alfred Sargent double monks and whilst I simply cannot wear Sargent balmorals as it feels as though the tops of my feet are being crushed when I do up the laces, I can wear the double monks (admittedly with the buckle on the last hole) without any problems and they are very comfortable.

Therefore, I'd say that giving the Lowndes a go is worth it, but if you cannot find a shoe store that stocks them near you and if you must buy them over the internet, then try to find an internet store that takes returns (such as Bodileys of Northampton, perhaps?).

Sorry for the somewhat rambling response - I hope that this is of some assistance.

qdogg29

Reaction score
Thank you, that's precisely what I wanted to know. However, I'm not sure if my feet are that narrow. I had tried on a pair of Dolce and Gabbana lace ups and they were tight at the toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads