• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis C.K.'s latest comedy album "Hilarious" ... isn't

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You all are probably aware of the comedian Louis C.K. Even if you weren't a long time fan, you surely were spammed last year when he appeared on Conan's late night show and delivered a rant on how spoiled this generation is. complaining about cell phones and airlines.

His latest album, "Hilarious" dropped recently (Tues 1/11) and I've been listening to it. It has some funny parts but mostly it's really not funny. First, he curses a lot. This is not a problem but it's a little unexpected since his cell phone joke was extremely funny while staying really clean. If I listen to a Chris Rock album, I expect him to curse. I think in Rock's case, the cursing enhances his delivery and jokes. But if you listen to say Mitch Hedberg and he starts dropping F-bombs for no reason, it's confusing. This is the case with Louis C.K.

The other issue is it's extremely awkward to listen to. The album was recorded live and there's a DVD that came out the same day of his performance. I am not an expert but from the sounds the audience were making, it felt like they were also as uncomfortable as I was. He has this style where it feels like he is making impromptu jokes, playing off the audience. I can't tell how much is scripted or how much is on the fly. For example he'll say a joke or set one up and if people groan he'll add on to it. The problem is what he adds on really is not funny and instead is there for shock value (e.g. ****** children).

I still need to listen to the second half but I suspect it'll be more of the same. I was really hoping that he'd be good since his cell phone rant is so on point. That joke is in there too and if it ends up being the only funny track, then this album would only be 10% funny.

Has anyone else listened to it?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw his "everything's great, nobody's happy" thing and thought it was great. Really really funny.

So I went on Youtube and found some of his other stuff. It wasn't funny. Some of it was just kind of gross, particularly the skit where he goes on a great length describing how his little girl plays with her ******. I kept waiting for things to get funny, but really it was just kind of awkward and unpleasant.

I like Chris Rock. He's funny. Louis CK just isn't.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I think he's hilarious. Hes definitely foul mouthed. But I knew that. Looking forward to hearing the new album

StandupTJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
You all are probably aware of the comedian Louis C.K. Even if you weren't a long time fan, you surely were spammed last year when he appeared on Conan's late night show and delivered a rant on how spoiled this generation is. complaining about cell phones and airlines.

His latest album, "Hilarious" dropped recently (Tues 1/11) and I've been listening to it. It has some funny parts but mostly it's really not funny. First, he curses a lot. This is not a problem but it's a little unexpected since his cell phone joke was extremely funny while staying really clean. If I listen to a Chris Rock album, I expect him to curse. I think in Rock's case, the cursing enhances his delivery and jokes. But if you listen to say Mitch Hedberg and he starts dropping F-bombs for no reason, it's confusing. This is the case with Louis C.K.

Is the bit on Conan the only other exposure you've had to him? You do realize how much they have to clean up material for cable T.V./ late night shows right? Heres afew more bits to make you alittle more fimiliar with his past work
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I am not an expert but from the sounds the audience were making, it felt like they were also as uncomfortable as I was. He has this style where it feels like he is making impromptu jokes, playing off the audience. I can't tell how much is scripted or how much is on the fly.

That what makes a good comic. When you cant tell what is planned and not. Its an art that takes years and years of practice and destroying yourself on stage to develop it.

For example he'll say a joke or set one up and if people groan he'll add on to it.

When you've told that joke 100's of times over the last year working it, and preparing it for the recording of your CD and DVD you usually have a general Idea of what the audience's reaction is going to be. And usually the shock value at the end is to keep the attention of the audience and, in all truthfullness to push afew buttons.

I still need to listen to the second half but I suspect it'll be more of the same. I was really hoping that he'd be good since his cell phone rant is so on point. That joke is in there too and if it ends up being the only funny track, then this album would only be 10% funny.

most all of his "rants" are on point, maybe you should finish the album before you decide to bash one of the best comics ever on the internet. No his comedy isnt for everyone but its genius, you just have to get past afew naughty words.. ***.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of you are taking issue with my point about the profanity. I thought I made it clear I don't have an issue with cursing. I am just saying it doesn't really make sense for his style. Thanks for explaining to me how cable/TV censors work. Cmon, really?

DBoon

Reaction score
this has been out on youtube for a while.

if you don't think this is "funny" then you weren't meant for Louis CKs comedy...he is at the top of his game in this special.

Sorry, you didnt get it

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StandupTJ
That what makes a good comic. When you cant tell what is planned and not. Its an art that takes years and years of practice and destroying yourself on stage to develop it.

Thanks for the lesson on joke mechanics. I think I get it. Again, I don't have issue with his impromptu, play-off-the-audience style. I am saying that I don't think he pulls it off well because the "on the fly" stuff is not funny. Just awkward.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of you are taking issue with my point about the profanity. I thought I made it clear I don't have an issue with cursing. I am just saying it doesn't really make sense for his style. Thanks for explaining to me how cable/TV censors work. Cmon, really?

louie ck swears up a motherfucking shitstorm in his stand ups... plus he goes to racial/bigotry/super taboo topics often.

i just noticed that after his divorce that his comedy did take a turn for the dark though... a lot of sad stuff thats funny and dark... before he was married it was just mostly complaining but now its sad but still funny.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
this has been out on youtube for a while.

if you don't think this is "funny" then you weren't meant for Louis CKs comedy...he is at the top of his game in this special.

Sorry, you didnt get it

+1,000,000,000,000

Hilarious is HILARIOUS...his latest show "Word" was even better.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some people just have different tastes.

louis' style may not suit you. if you don't find it funny when he randomly talks about "jacking off on a corpse" etc then you just don't get or don't prefer his brand of comedy. move on to other comics. i could recommend a few if you tell me what you already like, since i'm really really into stand up comedy.

i'll let you know, though, that there's alot more physical comedy in Hilarious than in his other specials like Chewed Up or Shameless. watch the DVD and you'll understand the jokes better -- he has a few jokes that i remember off the top of my head that are entirely physical, as far as the punchlines go. he has one bit about "dumb guy gestures" that uses about 2 minutes of full on physical pantomiming which you're not going to get on a CD, obviously.

he is, in my opinion, the best active stand up comedian right now. but i have a really really really developed taste for stand up so maybe it's his extremeness that makes me like him so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads