• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angelenos: MTM Suits from $500 to $800

bigmar11

Reaction score
Style Forum Los Angelenos:

Any suggestions for a place that can make me a suit for $500 to 800?

Thank you!

lalaland

Reaction score
Thread not closed lol. I have a TAT suit - just received it, still needs tailoring so I'll reserve judgment until after alterations are done - but there are other options.

Richard Lim at High Society is on the high side of your spectrum but he is a step up from TAT - suits are made on the premises and you have unlimited choices for cuts and styles - which is not the Thick as Thieves case.

bigmar11

Reaction score
I am seriously considering Richard Lim. He is also right down Wilshire from me. I wonder if he will cut me a deal if I get 3 suits from him.

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
Richard Lim at High Society is on the high side of your spectrum but he is a step up from TAT - suits are made on the premises and you have unlimited choices for cuts and styles - which is not the Thick as Thieves case.

I've used Richard Lim. I plan on posting on Coolal's thread and adding my review, but I'm waiting on having Richard alter my suit first, so it's going to be a while before I do. Richard's price is at least double that of TaT, but if you buy the fabric from Richard, he'll give you a pretty good deal ($950 including fabric for me). I haven't used TaT, but I believe what Richard offers outside of TaT are options for vests, a basted fitting, and cheaper or free alterations for the suit you purchased from him. Overall, I'd highly recommend Richard Lim; I plan on going back to him for a new suit by the end of the month.

My only warning is that, as others have said, he doesn't have a house style, so he goes off what you ask of him. It's best to know exactly what you want and how you like it.

Last edited:

lalaland

Reaction score
Psylentstorm - really looking forward to your review, please do post it when you can after the alterations. I saw your photos online and would love to see what changes post-alteration.

How does Lim work with regards to that - did you take delivery of the suit, decide you were unhappy with some parts of it after receiving it, then you went back to him and asked for changes?

Or did he tell you at the beginning that changes would be needed after delivery and that they were explicitly included in the price?

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
How does Lim work with regards to that - did you take delivery of the suit, decide you were unhappy with some parts of it after receiving it, then you went back to him and asked for changes?

Or did he tell you at the beginning that changes would be needed after delivery and that they were explicitly included in the price?

The former. I picked it up and tried it on. I could have said something then, but I work better when I'm with myself taking my time. I kind of pressure and rush myself if someone is watching me. I wasn't happy with the sleeves (I think in the end my shirt was too short, not the jacket) so I took the jacket back and asked for him to shorten the sleeves, along with a couple of shirts to hem. I paid for the shirts, but he said that he would alter the suit since it's his suit. It was nothing that we agreed upon before that point; my guess is that this suit is a representation of his quality, so he wants it to look as good as possible (as defined by the client).

I'm going to take the suit back to adjust the sleeves, and look for advice regarding how my posture affects the suit balance also. I'll let you know how pricing goes then.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am seriously considering Richard Lim. He is also right down Wilshire from me. I wonder if he will cut me a deal if I get 3 suits from him.

When you are dealing with a bespoke tailor it's always a mistake to order multiple suits or jackets on your first order. Regard the first suit as sort of a trial run. The tailor can evaluate it and tweak your pattern accordingly.

PsylentStorm

Reaction score
When you are dealing with a bespoke tailor it's always a mistake to order multiple suits or jackets on your first order. Regard the first suit as sort of a trial run. The tailor can evaluate it and tweak your pattern accordingly.
Completely agree. Go with one suit, mention that you're considering ordering two more. He'll cut you a deal and you'll get that trial run.

bigmar11

Reaction score

Completely agree. Go with one suit, mention that you're considering ordering two more. He'll cut you a deal and you'll get that trial run.

Ok, good call. Probably makes more sense not to go hog wild from the get go. I'm going to check out Richard Lim and talk to him.

Psylent, can you give me the specs of your suit, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member