• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loopwheeled sweatshirts

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On sweatshirts, you usually can from the back side. Here is a loopwheeled hoodie we are doing for Mr. Olive's S/S 2011 collection. Notice the large loops on the interior.
LW1.JPG
LW2.JPG

wiru

Reaction score
I thought "loopwheel" indicated that it had been made on a circular knitting machine, and the sign of that was seamless tube construction? Neither of my loopwheel sweatshirts have that kind of backside...

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Perhaps my information was misleading or incorrect. Just showing a recent example of one of my projects.

The fabric may be made in tubular form, but the fabric could be cut so I don't think tubular construction is an immediate identifier. From my experience with Loopwheeler and items made by other companies with the same equipment, a loop cut stitch is present on the backside of the fabric. I have discussed with a couple designers in Japan, but I guess this could be a lost in translation thing and I could be wrong.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a buzz rickson sweatshirt and it says that it is made on a loop wheeling loom. it is not "looped" on the backside(inside) of the sweater, its more of a fleece-fuzz-type-material. it is tubular, no side seams. SUPER SOFT!! now i am confused because the inside is not "looped" lol. HOWEVER, the wings horns hoody i have looks like the pic atsui posted(looped inside) but they do not claim it is loop-wheeled. i think it depends on what the COTTON is fabricated on. if it is fabricated using a vintage loop-wheeler machine then it is a "loop-wheeled" construction. if not, then it is a backside terry cloth(ie wings horns)
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
get it lol??? check this out: http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=391

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Loopwheeled Fabric!

I've seen a spike of interest in loopwheeled fabrics recently so i decided to dig up a few photographs i took of a machine for those that haven't seen what a loopwheeler machine looks like.

There are some serious misconceptions about this fabric.
Just because a fabric has tube construction does not make it loopwheeleed. Also, i'd say that about 50% of the fabric which i've felt and has been marked as loopwheeled was NOT actually loopwheeled, it's just tube body constructed fabric. It's insane to me that companies get away with advertising that their fabric is one thing when it's not, but i'm convinced that these companies themselves were fooled by their factories or textile suppliers into thinking that the fabric was really loopwheeled.

Kobayashi-san (president of Flat Head) is the only person in the world that owns loopwheeling machines which are capable doing a certain weight and feel of micro-ribbed fabric, the Japanese brand Loopwheeler actually buys their micro-ribbed fabric from Kobayashi. Flat Head are still the only clothing company i've ever come across which owns up to 65% of the machines which weave all their fabrics where as all other clothing lines don't actually own any machines, they lease or outsource production to factories.

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
wow, thats great.

i think pure blue japan's l/w pullover they did last winter had the softest fabric i have ever felt. sunrise japan has another excellent l/w sweat.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Kiya,

So is the Mr. Olive hoody loopewheeled?

Hard to tell without seeing it in person but i'd say no considering the price.
Also, "Notice the large loops on the interior.".. this has nothing to do with whether or not a textile was loopwheeled.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought loopwheeler had these machines.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they do, just not the micro one that flathead has.

Those machines are probably worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads