• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheTraditionalist43

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to know and get input on purchasing a tuxedo. I’m looking to go for the traditional Ivy/Prep look. If you guys can provide me with any knowledge, tips, and pointers of where to buy and what the whole ensemble from the tux to shoes would entail, I would greatly appreciate it! Looking forward to your reading your responses!

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For very Ivy Notch Lapel ( like mine from the '60s) O'Connells, and Ben Silver.
J.Press and the Andover Shop have peak and or shawl lapels.Brooks Bros are cheaper
but I am not sure they are truly natural shoulder. Paul Stuart, most expensive probably
not a true natural shoulder. Her'e a top of the line vintage Oxxford Tux on eBay. Also,
a very trad one from Paul Stuart on the same site.

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You already got a few good suggestions. An estimated budget will help in providing more relevant feedback.

acconrad

Reaction score
Please don't get a notch lapel tuxedo. Tuxes are trad by nature, so they have certain features that distinguish them from suits (not using notch lapels is one of them). I'd check the Black Tie thread and read through the Black Tie Guide (google it). If you want to have a Ivy/Prep nod in terms of fit (rather than details, which are consistent across brands if you get a proper tux), you could just buy a tux from Brooks Brothers, JPress, etc.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budget really isn’t much of an issue!
That being the case, Paul Stuart and Ralph Lauren have some very nice and classic dinner suits. I would stick with peak or shawl lapel as those are more in line with tradtional black tie. Make sure you get a good shirt (marcella bib or pleated is your choice) with french cuffs. You'll also need either a vest or a cumberbund. Lastly for shoes, opera pumps or patent leather are the traditional choices, but a plain oxford in calf that's highly polished will suffice and can be used for other purposes outside of black tie affairs.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Whole entire black tie thread on this forum. Recommend reading at least the most recent few pages where people go over some of the summaries.

If budget isn't an issue, RLPL makes a killer one, so does The Armoury. Or go bespoke if you also have some months to spend and are happy with the risk entailed. :)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an "aspirational" Tux from Caraceni. So if you go the bespoke route….
img_2571.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add a touch of insouciance to the formal style, an ecru silk pleated
shirt could be in order. Mine, purchased with my tux decades ago, no longer
fits. Nor was I able to find one the last time I wore the tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads