• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy a peacoat (online)

SumYunGi

Reaction score
Yes, another peacoat thread. So I'm looking to buy one online (since they don't seem to be in stock anywhere up here), but I take a 44 L, which kind of limits my options. I'm looking for something for more stylish than traditional. So far I've been looking at the Sterlingwear Navigator. Can anyone make any other suggestions?

syount

Reaction score
I've had good luck buying Military issue Peacoats off Ebay. You can get new unworn coats for not a ton of money.

ultra

Reaction score
I bought this one almost a month ago:

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-br...ippa-m-peacoat

I specifically tried to avoid the peacoat because it's so common and instead searched for a topcoat or overcoat. But after trying this on in a store, it won out for two key reasons: it's kneelength and cut extraordinarily well with high arm holes. I've worn it almost every day and couldn't be happier with it.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SumYunGi
Yes, another peacoat thread. So I'm looking to buy one online (since they don't seem to be in stock anywhere up here), but I take a 44 L, which kind of limits my options. I'm looking for something for more stylish than traditional. So far I've been looking at the Sterlingwear Navigator. Can anyone make any other suggestions?

This thread recommends against the Navigator in favor of the authentic.

SumYunGi

Reaction score
Okay, I've combed the board, but I haven't seen a final recommendation. I've seen some people have had trouble with the Navigator, but is there a consensus on the Classic, Authentic, or Mariner? I'm going more for stylishness then authenticity.

kcc

Reaction score
Recently, I phoned Faconnable Coral Gables, FL boutique inquiring about overcoats. The sales associate mentioned there were peacoats available at reduced prices.

The Village of Merrick Park
342 Avenue San Lorenzo

unbridled_id

Reaction score
The navigator is cut the same way as the authentic so I don't quite understand those who raised the issues they did. Look, the navigator is satin lined and has less wool 24oz compared the the classic which has 32oz wool and is quilted. The authentic is 24oz of wool and fleece lined, the mariner is as if the authentic and the classic had a child. If you want a lighter coat go with the navigator and don't worry about a thing, if you want a heavier coat you have the other three to choose from.

playdohh22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ultra
I bought this one almost a month ago:

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-br...ippa-m-peacoat

I specifically tried to avoid the peacoat because it's so common and instead searched for a topcoat or overcoat. But after trying this on in a store, it won out for two key reasons: it's kneelength and cut extraordinarily well with high arm holes. I've worn it almost every day and couldn't be happier with it.

Wow, thats a very nice peacoat ! Can anyone tell me where I can find one similar at a better price ? My budget is $300.
frown.gif

SumYunGi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
wow... speaking of the devil it just went on sale.
laugh.gif

That's great! if you're a size 52 or 54....

This coat certainly does look nice (and is photographed better), but it's made with synthetic materials while the Sterlingwear's seem to be made of all wool. Aren't synthetics usually cheaper? Because this coat is more expensive on sale than the Sterlingwear is regularly.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
I recently purchased the one at the top of this page: http://www.armynavysuperstores.com/peacoat.htm and am extremely satisfied. I wear a 44L in my suits and jackets but purchased a 42L off their site as I wanted a more fitted coat. I love it, although it might be a little too snug if you're wearing a thick sweater under it. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that it fit so well. Definitely looks "hipsterish" and is quite fitted. Ignore the horrible picture on the site, as it doesn't do it any justice.

scholzie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
I recently purchased the one at the top of this page:

http://www.armynavysuperstores.com/peacoat.htm

and am extremely satisfied. I wear a 44L in my suits and jackets but purchased a 42L off their site as I wanted a more fitted coat. I love it, although it might be a little too snug if you're wearing a thick sweater under it. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that it fit so well. Definitely looks "hipsterish" and is quite fitted. Ignore the horrible picture on the site, as it doesn't do it any justice.

Can you post a fit pic of yourself? I am always wary of surplus coats because they aren't made to be stylish. I'd be interested to see if it's as fitted as you say.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SumYunGi
That's great! if you're a size 52 or 54....

This coat certainly does look nice (and is photographed better), but it's made with synthetic materials while the Sterlingwear's seem to be made of all wool. Aren't synthetics usually cheaper? Because this coat is more expensive on sale than the Sterlingwear is regularly.

I'm 99% sure those are Euro sizes, so you would take a 54.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads