• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the best Trench Coat

Classified_

Reaction score
Hey,

So I've walked into the behemoth Burberry store at Regent St. and decided to feel rich for a few minutes and tried on the heritage trench.

To be honest, it feels kind of cheap! I know it's made from the best stuff available but it didn't feel like anything special, for £1,100 I think it's way over the top.

So I'm looking for a new trench coat, preferably something up to £500. I've walked into countless stores and couldn't find the one which is right for me.

I don't want it to be too light, and not too heavy, should be medium weight, have nice details and be a slim fit.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to get one in London?

Thanks!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been very unimpressed with Burberry quality, save for the prorsum line. You might try Brooks Brothers or London Fog.

Classified_

Reaction score
Cheers, have looked into London Fog but didn't really like their style. Will definitely check Brooks Brothers. If any other recommendations come to mind do share :) and yes I agree that I have been unimpressed by Burberry, I expected to wear something that truly feels special for that price tag.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GoneBabyGone

Reaction score
I bought one of these and am very satisfied. Gave them style, color, and measurements.

MTM Raincoat indeed.

http://www.cocoon-online.com/

I especially liked this:

"We will replace or refund the cost of any clothes returned within 14 days, provided they are unworn and undamaged.

This guarantee covers ALL clothing including made to measure and Sale items.

Please note that this does not cover the cost of return postage."

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a trench coat, you want a Burberry. All others are copies. If you don't like the material it's made from then my advice is to go look for something else that is not a trench coat.

jazzsol

Reaction score

If you want a trench coat, you want a Burberry. All others are copies. If you don't like the material it's made from then my advice is to go look for something else that is not a trench coat.

Did Burberry invent the trench coat?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Burberry invent the trench coat?

Both Aquascutum and Burberry's claim to have invented the trench coat. Thomas Burberry invented gabardine fabric, from which Burberry's trench coasts were made. Of the two designs, I have always preferred Burberry's. So, as far as I'm concerned, a Burberry is the canonical trench coat.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love both Aquascutum and Grefell, as @comrade mentioned. You don't hear a lot about them, and I haven't bought something from them in a couple of years, but it's some of the best out there.

I also have a Polo Ralph Lauren (made in Italy) that I bought about two years ago. It's partially lined in wool and some of the stiffest cotton canvas I've seen. It does a great job. Beyond that, I have a poly/cotton blend that is a house brand from a local men's store. Well made and has worked well over the past 10 years.

Try a bunch on and shop around. If you didn't like the Burberry as a first instinct, that's a good sign that you won't ever be in love with it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both Aquascutum and Burberry's claim to have invented the trench coat. Thomas Burberry invented gabardine fabric, from which Burberry's trench coasts were made. Of the two designs, I have always preferred Burberry's. So, as far as I'm concerned, a Burberry is the canonical trench coat.

Hi neighbor. I have never owned a true trench coat. I have always favored the balmacaan Raglan sleeved single breasted raincoat.
However, my late father returned from World War II with an 8th Air Force wool gabardine true trench coat which was perforated in
the front as a result his being in the proximity of an incendiary bomb during the Little Blitz of 1943-4. I wish I had it.

Last edited:

Classified_

Reaction score
For some reason I always ruled out Ralph Lauren, I don't know why really but maybe I should give it a try. About the Burberry, no doubt that the design is the most original but I just feel like they are really overcharging on it. I know it's a trench and not meant to be heavy or bulky but for such a price you also want something that will keep you warm and not just stylish or is that just me?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi neighbor. I have never owned a true trench coat. I have always favored the balmacaan Raglan sleeved single breasted raincoat.
However, my late father returned from World War II with an 8th Air Force wool gabardine true trench coat which was perforated in
the front as a result his being in the proximity of an incendiary bomb during the Little Blitz of 1943-4. I wish I had it.
That coat sounds remarkable. I can understand your wish that you had it. A piece of history.

For some reason I always ruled out Ralph Lauren, I don't know why really but maybe I should give it a try. About the Burberry, no doubt that the design is the most original but I just feel like they are really overcharging on it. I know it's a trench and not meant to be heavy or bulky but for such a price you also want something that will keep you warm and not just stylish or is that just me?
A Burberry is what it is. Whether you think they overcharge or not is subjective, I suppose. I've owned two in my time. The one I have now I have owned for about thirty years. It's given me good service all this time. I've never felt the need to add the wool liner. If you want a real trench coat, there really is no substitute for a Burberry. Everything else is at best second best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads