• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some cowboy boots for my father for christmas.

Franky

Reaction score
Now, I have a 200-250 budget for this and I know he likes cowboy boots. Problem is I don't know anything about cowboy boots.

Now my question is what is a quality cowboy boot for that price? And what's the best style.

I've been looking at these

http://www.sterlingleather.com/product.asp?pid=13990

Is that any good?

Thanks for any responses.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know many Anglos who like ostrich of that color, the styling is also non-traditional. I would do some homework on how tolerant he is of boots that are different. I'd hate to see you get a pair that is out of his comfort zone and not wear them.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
If you don't know anything about boots and you don't know what he specifically wants, I wouldn't recommend going with ostrich. I'm also not huge on Tony Lama but that's personal preference.

Small questions thread would work for this question, too.

Franky

Reaction score
If it helps my father is from mexico lol, and he has some similar colored in his closet
smile.gif

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky
If it helps my father is from mexico lol, and he has some similar colored in his closet
smile.gif

Stick with something basic like Justin Ropers.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I wear mostly cowboy boots, so I can tell you that the pair in your link is a very classic style - the toe is somewhat pointy (not by cowboy boot standards, but compared to most shoes), the shaft and heel are an average height, and the color isn't weird. So it's a good traditional choice as far as styling goes, definitely should stay in style for many years.

Not sure about the leather - ostrich is a very classic "dressy" skin, but smooth ostrich is not as nice as full-quill, and pieced vamps basically means they're made from small leftover pieces. You should be able to find full-quill ostrich in your price range. That would be a pair of boots to wear with a suit or for a night out, definitely not for working on the ranch. If your father would want more "everyday" boots, look for something in a more "work" leather such as bullhide or maybe elephant, and possibly with lower shafts.

Staying with Tony Lama, here's full quill ostrich: http://www.pfiwestern.com/pfi/wester...4%20BURN%20TAN

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who like cowboy boots tend to think ostrich is badass. But +1 on the full quill.

StylinCowboy

Reaction score
I have to agree with dsmolken on all of his points. There are lots of great cowboy boots out there in your price range that will fall into what your father seems to like. You seem like you have a good enough eye so far.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I'd take your dad to a boot shop, let him try on several pairs or get him a gift card. Buying anyone clothing is never a good idea, what if they don't fit or he doesn't like them. Put the ball in his court and likely you'll feel better about the whole thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads