• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for "slim" dress shirts

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of touble finding a dress shirt that fits my needs.

My problem is that:
a) I'm tall and lanky, so even "slim" shirts (i.e. whatever Jos.ABanks calls his slimmer cut) are too big in the torso (the sleeve and collar work fine, but I could comfortably fit a basketball under the shirt).
and
b)I wear dress shirts almost exclusvly under sweaters, and occasionally on their own. My problem being that a shirts that's too big in the chest and belly bulges out underneath a sweater and makes me look silly.

I've been to every department store and men's shop in my (admitedly sparse) area, and have yet to find anything. I'm also opperating under the (perhaps false) assumption that a MTM shirt won't allow me to get this specific.

Is there any reasonably priced slim-ish cut shirt avalible out there?
I was thinking perhaps some fasionable store might ahave a "slim-cut" line that would fit my needs or something.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, there's another post on this like 2 lines down.

I have a tendancy to get sucked in while on styleforum, I told myself, don't look @ any other topics, just post my question and wait for a reply (in hopes of getting more work done).

cpadude

Reaction score
I personally love Brooks Brothers Slim Cut Non Iron shirts. They have an easy return policy and I think their shirts feel great and look classic. Maybe you want to post a picture of you in one of your more blousier shirts so we can get an idea of what size you are.

Good Luck

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you could get your shirts taken in by a tailor. Depending on how much you want to spend, there's everything from H&M to Borrelli. What's your price range?

toonice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpadude
I personally love Brooks Brothers Slim Cut Non Iron shirts. They have an easy return policy and I think their shirts feel great and look classic. Maybe you want to post a picture of you in one of your more blousier shirts so we can get an idea of what size you are.

Good Luck

BB slimfits are still a bit baggy IMO. An MTM will allow you to go as slim as you want.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
H&M and Zara's dress shirts are cut quite slim and are affordable ($15-60)

billiebob

Reaction score
H and M dress shirts made in turkey are very slim and an OK value for $40. The fabric is so-so and the collars are floppy, but the armholes are small and high. They are far slimmer than Brooks Slim Fit, which has huge armholes even if the body is slim. The Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit is a little slimmer than Brooks slim fit, but they are comparable. CT shirts are available typically for 50% off, and they are better quality than H and M for only $10 more.

www.fourinhand.com has nice slim fit dress shirts with great fabric and MOP buttons for $60-110 each. Some of these may be darted to achieve the slim fit.

sloaney

Reaction score
I do not recommend Brooks Brothers slim fit for two major reasons:

1. Only the body area is slimmer, and even then so, by a tiny bit. The armholes an d sleeves are just as baggy as the regular shirts.

2. They are only available in non-iron fabric. I do not like their non-iron fabric one bit.

I second the H&M recommendation. Also, try Zara and Massimo Dutti.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
H and M dress shirts made in turkey are very slim and an OK value for $40. The fabric is so-so and the collars are floppy, but the armholes are small and high. They are far slimmer than Brooks Slim Fit, which has huge armholes even if the body is slim. The Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit is a little slimmer than Brooks slim fit, but they are comparable. CT shirts are available typically for 50% off, and they are better quality than H and M for only $10 more.

www.fourinhand.com has nice slim fit dress shirts with great fabric and MOP buttons for $60-110 each. Some of these may be darted to achieve the slim fit.

I own a few CT shirts. They are OK, but hardly slim fit, and IMO for the most part the cut is quite boring. I prefer H&M and Zara by far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads