• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for MTM Shirts (Pics of What I have so Far)

atct86

Reaction score
I am looking to get some made to measure shirts. I would like to get 2-3 to start. I really would like to get away from the excessivly baggy brooks brothers. The best fitting shirt I have found is the slim fit Charles Tyrwhitt, however i think at least an inch of fabric around the chest and waist, as you can see through the button holes of my stomach when i sit down. I saw MyTailor and Jantzen. Jantzen seems alot less expensive and quicker. I would like to spend 75-100 a shirt. What else is there if i want to measure and order online. Also what is the best fabric for a blue dress shirt if you could only have one? Below is a picture of the various Brooks Brothers, Polo, CT, H&K, and Hickey-Freeman Shirts I have. The ones on the right (Navy over) are very baggy, and much more casual. The ones on the left fit me better and I wear them more often and like them better. Are there any critical fabrics I am missing?
DSC_0268.jpg
DSC_0275.jpg
DSC_0276.jpg
DSC_0277.jpg
DSC_0278.jpg

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I've had quite good luck with pickashirt.com. Not nearly as many fabrics as Jantzen, but the shirts come in a week or so, from Australia to the USA. Only about $45 US.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I've had quite good luck with pickashirt.com. Not nearly as many fabrics as Jantzen, but the shirts come in a week or so, from Australia to the USA. Only about $45 US.

what are the quality of the shirts like? how is the fit ?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
what are the quality of the shirts like? how is the fit ?

I'd say the quality of the shirts is fairly low compared to Jantzen/other MTM services, although for the price you really can't complain. The fit is good and the customer service is great, so if you want something thats not specified on their site you can do that. The buttons kinda suck though. I like the thick MOP buttons Jantzen has.

litho

Reaction score
you can try Nialma, they give you a free shirt to check your size. I'm very happy with the quality of all of mine

atct86

Reaction score
Both of those sits seem alot more simple than mytaillor. What are the pros and cons of those?

Can anyone comment on any standard shirts I should get, which I dont have?

What is a good blue fabric?

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
I tend to like more white shirts, or shirts with a white base and a simple pattern. The more white, the more formal.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Good blue fabric - go for either a classic Twill finish or a fine Poplin. Just make sure the fabric quality is reasonable. It means the shirt will last longer but more importantly look better.

A quality white and blue shirt are a must. Go for a white with red strip to mix it up a little.

Word of warning - Bespoke Shirts that cost $50 do not use quality fabric - FACT.

jidoughe

Reaction score
sabvinnie -- who would you recommend for better quality bespoke that's not saville row? Thanks.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jidoughe
sabvinnie -- who would you recommend for better quality bespoke that's not saville row? Thanks.
Do you have a price range in mind? Where are you located?

Median

Reaction score
Give www.propercloth.com a try - they can tweak the dimensions based on other brands' shirts (e.g. Tyrwhitt, BB) but also your direct body measurements and desired fit. I just got one in a regular cut, in blue broadcloth as per this pic
f8d3ae119ecaab51b4cea5ef14be789d_small.jpg
, using body measurements and it's almost perfect straight out the box, though I think I need to put it through the washer a few times for the shirt to fully settle in the sleeves. Maybe have a play with their sizing controls set for a slim or super slim fit. The shirts are made in the USA and Seph is great to deal with.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with MyTailor. Prices are in your range so I would give them a shot. If they come to your city, even better.

sabvinnie

Reaction score
If you opt for online then Nialma and mytailor have worked well for me.

I was just thinking there may be a shop-fronted tailor near you...

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Pickashirt followup
I had my second shirt bought from Pickashirt start to pill like crazy. (blue and white gingham). So now I will just use Jantzen, as they make me happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads