• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Low Cost/High Quality Wool Pants

2sweet

Reaction score
I usually wear cotton dockers as my standard work pants. I am looking to upgrade to something nicer, like wool slacks which are slim fitting. No pleats.

It seems like if I go to Banana Republic, their pants fit a bit too loose through the leg, and they're not really true to size, either, often fitting bigger than they're supposed to. So I'm looking for something which fits slimmer, are high quality and relatively low cost.

2!!!

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
How high quality do you want? How low a cost do you want? The word relatively is a bit unhelpful. Is Banana quality (excluding fit issues) sufficient? Are Banana prices low enough?

jett

Reaction score
As I always say, I am not an expert - however I have a pair of slacks I found at Sears which are some of my favorite pants. They're slim fitting, low-rise, and have no pleats (who the hell likes pleats?). I don't know who makes them but they had them in a good 4 or 5 different colors and I don't remember them being expensive. Others may frown on buying clothes at Sears, but in my opinion these are some really good pants so you all can shove it.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few standard recommendations:

Kirkland wool pants at Costco (see discussion on AskAndy)
Ballin etc at the Nordy's Rack, Saks and NM outlets
Land's End OTR or custom fit

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
A few standard recommendations: Kirkland wool pants at Costco (see discussion on AskAndy) Ballin etc at the Nordy's Rack, Saks and NM outlets Land's End OTR or custom fit
I second the recommendations of Ballin from outlet stores (~$100) and Lands' End OTR. Mid-level quality, workhorse trousers at good prices. Edit: I have no first-hand experience with Kirkland trousers.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
A few standard recommendations: Kirkland wool pants at Costco (see discussion on AskAndy) Ballin etc at the Nordy's Rack, Saks and NM outlets Land's End OTR or custom fit
What's the fit like on those three? The OP wants something slim...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience w/ the Lands End, but they're worth a try. I have some old Jos. A Banks which you can get Signature 2/$199 during sales, but remember you'll need to add price of alterations. They are very good for entry level despite what some others on the forum might say.

The outlets are a good idea, and Ballin are decent quality and easy to find. If you have access to a Brooks Brothers outlet, you may also do well.

Also on the sub-entry level you will find some RTW (no alterations needed) gabardines and twills from Ann Klein, Perry Ellis, etc. (popular price mall brands) around $50/pair. They will work until you can afford something nicer but they are not what I would call "High Quality".

If you move up a notch on price point, you can usually find Zanella on sale for under $150 at the end of a season. A good time would be at the end of summer (JULY in the fashion world) because the trop. weight wool will be on sale, and that is year-round weight for most men who spend 90% of the day inside.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The choices of material for Land's End Custom is rather limited MHO. And I don't like the results, either, unlike their custom shirts.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
As I always say, I am not an expert .............who the hell likes pleats?............... so you all can shove it.

Well said.
rolleyes.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
What's the fit like on those three? The OP wants something slim...

Ballin and Lands' End trousers are slim fit IMO. I was 6'3" 160 lbs., 30" waist and 36" inseam when I was buying from them (now that I'm 6'3", 175 lbs., I've donated most of my LE trousers because they no longer fit). If in doubt about the LE fit, they accept returns with no questions asked and you can make the return at Sears and save the return shipping.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stereojeff
While the Kirklands are fine pants and a great value, they are not slim fitting.

Jeff

This is true, but at their current price ($40 - $45) you're still looking at under $60 with alterations. I picked up a bundle when one store in my area had them on clearance for $15 each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads