Looking for good cotton fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Makoto Chan, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Perhaps there is not such a big difference between "good" and "bad" cotton fabric for suiting as there is for wool, but can anyone suggest a place to ask for samples/order fabric for the tailor? I want to order a cotton suit or two from Peter Lee in Hong Kong next year. I could just ask for his own samples, but perhaps you all know better. I want to make a tan twill suit, and am particular about getting exactly the right color.

For what it's worth, I sure notice a difference in quality between good and bad cotton chinos. My BB Advantage Milano chinos are by far the best. They don't have a "non-wrinkle" label, but they are very soft and tend not to wrinkle up after a typical day. So, I wish I could find something like this.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

2. Makoto Chan

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Maybe most here have a relationship with their cutter such that they trust him.... ?

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I've had good luck with cotton fabrics from Holland & Sherry. I also think it is worth speaking with Peter Lee and seeing if there is a cloth he likes working with. Also make sure that you really want to pay to have a cotton suit made up. It tends to be a lot of labor for inexpensive fabric that doesn't last as long as wool.

5. Makoto Chan