• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Fashionable Leather Briefcase

dmj2001

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fashionable but not ostentatious leather briefcase that I can use for business. I'm a 27 year old lawyer. I want something that is young but also professional and that I can wear with conservative suits. It needs to accommodate a midsize laptop. I hope to spend somewhere in the $300-$500 range. Some of the Bosca bags looked nice to me. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

dmj2001

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Those bags look excellent. I think I'm going to buy one. Two more questions:

1. What color do you think I ought to go with? I like some of the other shades, but the black seems the most conservative and versatile.

2. What size? The website offers two sizes, a standard briefcase and a thin briefcase. The thin briefcase is about 4.25 inches deep; the standard one is about 9 inches deep. I carry a normal load, maybe even a bit larger than a normal load: a laptop + charger, papers, phone, keys, writing implements etc., and occasionally books. Is 4.25 going to be too small for this? Also, the website only includes the thin briefcase, and not the standard briefcase, in the "Laptop Bags" section. I assume that this is a meaningless classification and that the standard briefcase is also designed to accommodate laptops (padded, secured compartment). Is this assumption correct?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't comment on the size.

but for color, Dark Brown Tobacco, apparently ages the nicest.
give it a couple years and it'll be the nicest color leather you've ever created!

oils and maintenance will get the color faster. look around facebook and the saddleback thread for tips.

awesome community out there.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally I don't find Saddleback's style appropriate for conservative business. It is more of a traveler, student, or professor style...

I would recommend something by Korchmar, Schlesinger, or Atlas, via ebay.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmj2001
I want something that is young but also professional

The youngest leather is baby calfskin. The most professional leather is only sold on the black market.

dmj2001

Reaction score
er... "looks young but also professional"

Is there a consensus on whether Saddleback briefcases are appropriate for law firm settings? And if so, is black a more appropriate color to get than the brown shades?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmj2001
er... "looks young but also professional"

Is there a consensus on whether Saddleback briefcases are appropriate for law firm settings? And if so, is black a more appropriate color to get than the brown shades?

Saddleback is too casual for conservative business dress.

Here's a stylish black briefcase that isn't too fuddy-duddy (note the discreet unsewn edges):

http://www.manufactum.com/Produkt/0/...riff=briefcase

Reaction score
While I'm sure trends may vary from city to city, as a lawyer who has worked in NY, London and Hong Kong my first impression of the saddleback style is that these are so rusticated and strappy as to look out of place. More outback than boardroom.

The people I know either use tasteless Tumi-esque black bags or if their briefcase is leather, it is clean lines in the Brigg/Jermyn St paradigm.

Not being able to afford a Brigg, I bought an Atlas of Boston which has gotten many compliments and is very functionally designed in the interior.

http://www.classicluggage.com/Classi...aits_you_.html

gilbertkeith

Reaction score
I'll sell you my used but as new brown Bally leather briefcase for $300. Got it for just under $1,000 and I never use it. (It was love at first sight though...I'm stupid.)

PM me if you're interested in seeing pictures!

jmoody15

Reaction score
Anyone else here know of a professional briefcase for $300ish? Saddleback is way too casual for professional use. The simpler the better, of course.

chas

Reaction score
I've had my eye on this:

TT_BLACK_05.jpg

TT_GREEN_04.jpg

I prefer the tan w/ green.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads