• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for button down shirts to wear with jeans, but clueless in what to look for style wise...

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
So I go out a lot and would like to start building a nice button down wardrobe to wear untucked with my jeans, I know that I want something that is very slim/form fitting, but 2 things im not quite sure about
1. what do i look for in collar styles?
2. and also the bottom of the shirt, how should it be shaped?

thanks in advance

mmmmpay

Reaction score
Allow me to bump my post count by one:

Collar: You're wearing a casual shirt, so chances are various and precise collar styles you see on dress shirts are out. I think the club collars floating around jcrew these days are ridiculous.

Button-down collars are nice because they stay in one place. But uh, point collars are fine too?

Bottom of the shirts are generally round...? Flat-bottomed shirts tend to be wide and of the Hawaiian or bowling style. If that's your thing, go for yours. (But then maybe make it not your thing.)

Some shirts will have a far longer back than front. This is for tucking, so if you're going untucked its to be avoided. But pretty much, you look for balance. If it's falling well below your crotch, its too long. If it's showing your undershirt, its too short.

But uh, pretty much, if you're already short just tuck your shirt in. I'm 5'7" and everything looks too long. A shirt tucked into jeans and casual blazer often looks better than just rockin an untucked buttonup.

But really, more than reading anything I ramble about aimlessly, just check out some of the fit picks in the what are you wearing threads and see what you'd like to emulate. Check where the length falls and try to match it with shirt you try on.

uninkco

Reaction score

Allow me to bump my post count by one:
Collar: You're wearing a casual shirt, so chances are various and precise collar styles you see on dress shirts are out. I think the club collars floating around jcrew these days are ridiculous.
Button-down collars are nice because they stay in one place. But uh, point collars are fine too?
Bottom of the shirts are generally round...? Flat-bottomed shirts tend to be wide and of the Hawaiian or bowling style. If that's your thing, go for yours. (But then maybe make it not your thing.)
Some shirts will have a far longer back than front. This is for tucking, so if you're going untucked its to be avoided. But pretty much, you look for balance. If it's falling well below your crotch, its too long. If it's showing your undershirt, its too short.
But uh, pretty much, if you're already short just tuck your shirt in. I'm 5'7" and everything looks too long. A shirt tucked into jeans and casual blazer often looks better than just rockin an untucked buttonup.
But really, more than reading anything I ramble about aimlessly, just check out some of the fit picks in the what are you wearing threads and see what you'd like to emulate. Check where the length falls and try to match it with shirt you try on.

Agreed. Definitely have to take the time to go out and check some brands to see what suits you best and what you actually prefer. For jeans, I personally prefer button down collars with a slightly rounded bottom. A point collar, especially untucked with jeans, looks sloppy in my opinion.

If you have some cash to spend, Epaulet, Gitman Vintage, BoO, Wolf v Goat are excellent choices, but I also have staple button downs from Jcrew and even Gap in the rotation. Uniqlo is not a bad choice either.

Good luck

JosiahS

Reaction score

Ultimately, you'll need a full-sized mirror to see yourself in. Some people are short, tall, have long torsos or long legs and shortish torso by comparison. The shirt tail will fall best in a spot below the belt/belt loops but not any farther than the crotch/back pockets. The best post for a casual sport shirt to fall will just depend on what feels right when you look at yourself in the mirror.

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
i actually like the tucked look best, but have been told it's a no no for going out to nightclubs and bars

Last edited:

crispeta

Reaction score
You are right - one should never go to a nightclub untucked (and avoid those kid clubs who allow entry to people who do) - but in the heat of the action a shirt might get untucked and stay like that.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
going unucked is fine if the shirt actually fits you. Jcrew is a good source of shirts that fit fairly slim an at a decent pricepoint. Start there if you'd like

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score

You are right - one should never go to a nightclub untucked (and avoid those kid clubs who allow entry to people who do) - but in the heat of the action a shirt might get untucked and stay like that.

i think the notion of avoiding these kid clubs is a bit pretentious.im not sure what age bracket you fall under but you would really be limiting yourself to seeing a bunch of middle aged men if you went to a club that didnt let people in with an untucked shirt.

also, you have to look at how your body is shaped if you wanna tuck in your shirt. long torsos look much better tucked than shorter torsos. if you tucked on a shorter torso, youd look like a potato sack.

Last edited:

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Band of Outsiders make the quintessential untucked oxford; try them.

The only (and major) caveat I would add is that if you are in the 42-44 chest size or higher, you would do best to avoid these as they are really not flattering on guys with larger chests. You're better off going with Gitman Vintage and just tucking because they are too long to wear untucked.

Epaulet, would also be another good option as someone mentioned.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads