• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Very Good Pair of Shoes

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Gooch
They look like nice shoes, but unfortunately not too many available in my size. Thanks for the link, though.

Allen Edmonds (you do know they make over 100 other models in your size?), Martegani, Magnanni go up to 13.

You will have to actually choose one for yourself

Brogued

Reaction score
12.5 is a difficult US size. You're better off looking at British shoes where the size conversion works in your favor. Crockett and Jones and Alfred Sargent are good step up from the AE's and can be found at reasonable prices on sites like Pediwear.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ralphwho
For me the real decider is whether the shoes are fused or not.

If you want good shoes you must go for non-fused shoes- don’t listen to people here saying that the more recent fused shoes are no longer subject to bubbling. If they are fused they can bubble, especially if exposed to heat after being wet due to rain

The second most important point is whether they are full- of just half-canvassed. Again you must go for full canvassed shoes. In the end they will last longer

I hear that Edward Green does a great RTW full canvassed shoe, so that would be my choice for a very good pair of shoes. Alternatively if money is more of an issue you should try the half canvassed Loake range.

One word of warning, as anyone here in SF would tell you, never, never go for Church’s, because since Prada bought the brand they are just glue jobs, i.e. fused. I have a pair full of bubbling

Troll

ApplesHK

Reaction score
For me the real decider is whether the shoes are fused or not.

If you want good shoes you must go for non-fused shoes- don't listen to people here saying that the more recent fused shoes are no longer subject to bubbling. If they are fused they can bubble, especially if exposed to heat after being wet due to rain

The second most important point is whether they are full- of just half-canvassed. Again you must go for full canvassed shoes. In the end they will last longer

I hear that Edward Green does a great RTW full canvassed shoe, so that would be my choice for a very good pair of shoes. Alternatively if money is more of an issue you should try the half canvassed Loake range.

One word of warning, as anyone here in SF would tell you, never, never go for Church's, because since Prada bought the brand they are just glue jobs, i.e. fused. I have a pair full of bubbling

But surely he's taking the piss? Surely?
biggrin.gif

ralphwho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I need to save this response for future reference.

Classic example of the blind leading the stupid.

I would understand if you said it the other way around, i.e., the stupid leading the blind.

I am sorry we do not have a shared sense of humour. It may be because you dont have one though

The Gooch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Allen Edmonds (you do know they make over 100 other models in your size?), Martegani, Magnanni go up to 13.

You will have to actually choose one for yourself

Originally Posted by Brogued
12.5 is a difficult US size. You're better off looking at British shoes where the size conversion works in your favor. Crockett and Jones and Alfred Sargent are good step up from the AE's and can be found at reasonable prices on sites like Pediwear.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the English brands and report back. Looks like I'll have to do mail-order trial and error.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would understand if you said it the other way around, i.e., the stupid leading the blind.

I am sorry we do not have a shared sense of humour. It may be because you dont have one though

I am not sure anyone shares your sense of humour.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I am not sure anyone shares your sense of humour.

Ralpwho is a product of Oxbridge. This means a terrible sense of humor, no wit, snark fail, bad taste, and good at spelling British English like "grey" and "sceptic".

ralphwho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Ralpwho is a product of Oxbridge. This means a terrible sense of humor, no wit, snark fail, bad taste, and good at spelling British English like "grey" and "sceptic".

Come on gimme a break, "sceptic" or whatever must clearly have been the result of fast typing plus inherent low-level dyslexia- if only this forum had a spell checker.

I find SF to be afflicted by an insufferable lack of irony, coupled with a distasteful amount of greed. I suspect these two things are connected, and would make SF intolerable if it wasn't for the odd useful piece of information and the fun of seeing greed kings parading naked in their new clothes

Again I am not here to buy or sell anything- which by my reckoning places me in the rather narrow category of non-trolls in SF

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: pompous idiots bearing gifts are best avoided"

ralphwho

Reaction score
ah and something they teach you in Oxbridge is that greed IS NOT good.

unfortunately it does not seem to take, as these days most graduates promptly march down to the City to start careers in moving money around for no good purpose other than taking a cut for every transaction

admittedly with negative consequences far outstripping those of SF traders

The Gooch

Reaction score
Just purchased a pair of Edward Green Telfords via ebay in Edwardian. So the hunt begins...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads