• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a great dress shoe!

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

so i have a wedding coming up, nothing too formal but i will be wearing a suit, and i need some shoes.

at first i was pretty sold on AE park avenues. but now i'm thinking, if i'm going to be spending this much money on these shoes, i'd love to find a great pair that i can not only wear with suits but also dress down with jeans possibly.

i'm not sure exactly what i'm looking for, i guess a plain toe variant would be ideal? looking for a nice black pair, but the main thing is i want the pair to last, thats why i went to AE and alden but so far i'm kinda confused. i really liked the vinci's from allen edmonds, for their simplicity. i'm currently searching for a high quality pair similar to the vincis, i think.

i did a bit of searching before posting this, fyi :pP!

thanks for any suggestions/links.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the formality of the event allows for a shoe that can be dressed down. If Park Avenues were your first thought, then I would stick with a black captoe balmoral.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no i'm not dressing down at the wedding...i just want some nice shoes that i can wear with a nice wool suit or occasionally something a bit more casual like denim on the weekends..

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut

... at first i was pretty sold on AE park avenues. but now i'm thinking, if i'm going to be spending this much money on these shoes,

thanks for any suggestions/links.

Instead of the Park Avenue there is a model named 'Clifton'. A Blucher which I have and like. In my size the Park Avenue doesn't look good.

And HAH? This much money? AE is not that expensive, is it?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well park avenues go for 325, and I'm the kind of guy who says "well if I'm going to pay 325 for a shoe that I think is a great shoe I might as well pay 600 for a shoe I think is spectacular" so it starts to get pricey. I'm 17 though and I dp construction with my dad so the money isn't that much of a hindrance tho haha...

82-Greg

Reaction score
E are frequently on sale. Nordstrom's just had an anniversary sale. Check the forum for which stores are having sales. If you are local to Wisconsin, their factory shops frequently have sales. If you are VERY confident of your sizing for the last/style you decide upon; ocassionally, AE puts some shoes on EBay. Find the better quality men's stores in your area, learn when they have sales.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
Well park avenues go for 325, and I'm the kind of guy who says "well if I'm going to pay 325 for a shoe that I think is a great shoe I might as well pay 600 for a shoe I think is spectacular" so it starts to get pricey. I'm 17 though and I dp construction with my dad so the money is that much of a hindrance tho haha...

OK, so it is much for you. But it will also have a big impact on your live starting to dress. You can't wait until you have the money (until you are old and cranky).

I hope you can get the money to get a nice pair of shoes and have fun!

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh i have the money now haha, i'm ready to invest $300-600 in shoes if i find the right pair haha.

i typo'd from my blackberry last night, i meant the money isn't* that much of a hindrance.

Tcameron

Reaction score
There are some PAs on the FS thread here for 160 or so - very attainable. Also check out the official Allen-Edmonds ebay store for some decent seconds.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I don't think the park avenue would look good with jeans.

It sounds like you want something that will look good with the suit for this one event, but will get more use in a more casual setting. I think you should add a monk and chelsea:

Given your description of the intended use, I would go with the boot:

(Here is one from Brooks Bros that is readily available and does not need the whats my size sliderule)

147H_Black_enlarged.jpg

Marlowe

Reaction score
Don't pay 600$ for a "spectacular" pair of shoes. You'll need a black captoe balmoral for your formal event and you won't be able to wear the same pair with jeans. If I were you, I'd buy black Park Avenues (as you can see, this is pretty much the standard answer to "first good pair of dress shoes for work/interviews/weddings") and spend what's left (let's say 275 if you buy the Park Avenues at retail, although you'll probably find a better deal) for a pair of nice shoes that you can wear with jeans. You have a lot to choose from since you can look at bluchers, chukkas, chelsea boots or loafers if you're so inclined...

This way you have two pairs at different degrees of formality and you increase their lifespan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads