• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a decent, inexpensive slim suit, any suggestions?

Swagged

Reaction score
H&M? Zara? Bar III? Alfani Red? preferably a wool suit... I'm 5'8, 125Lbs. Suit will we worn 4-5 days a week for work. My budget is $300 or less.

Last edited:

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
Suitsupply. All the brands you listed are going to feel like a waste of money after you do a little more research.

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
If you don't intend on wearing it more than a few times, I'd pick H&M out of the choices you listed.

Last edited:

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
Need more info for a proper suggestion e.g. budget, body type, how seldom /often you're planning to use ect.
He made it very clear he's looking for an inexpensive and slim suit.

Swagged

Reaction score
If you don't intend on wearing it more than a few times, I'd pick H&M out of the choices you listed.

Ok, why H&M out of all the choices? I actually plan on wearing the suit 4-5 each week for work. I'll check out suitsupply as well...

Last edited:

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
If you're wearing the suit 4-5 times a week (which I don't recommend) then Suitsupply at the very least. H&M because the price-to-performance ratio is the best. You can find 100% wool suits cheaper there than 40% polyester blends at Zara.

Swagged

Reaction score
If you're wearing the suit 4-5 times a week (which I don't recommend) then Suitsupply at the very least. H&M because the price-to-performance ratio is the best. You can find 100% wool suits cheaper there than 40% polyester blends at Zara.

Understandable.

AdamWill

Reaction score
Zara's stuff is basically priced to go on sale. If you wait for the sales you can get a reasonable price/quality trade-off there. There's just about no excuse for paying their full prices, ever. (Zara makes rather more of their stuff in countries with at least some semblance of labour laws, too, if that's important to you; just about everything in H&M seems to be made in Bangladesh, India, China or somewhere similarly worrisome, in my experience).

Still, as at every price point, fit is the most important thing. If it doesn't fit you it'll look crap. Zara's cuts do tend to fit small and slim people. Topman could be an option if you have one in your area. (Is Topman a thing in the US?)

You might also want to check for sales in department stores, and check Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx if you have those around. It's a complete crap shoot but sometimes you luck out there. And again the main main main main thing is, does it fit you and do you feel comfortable in it.

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
Zara's stuff is basically priced to go on sale. If you wait for the sales you can get a reasonable price/quality trade-off there. There's just about no excuse for paying their full prices, ever. (Zara makes rather more of their stuff in countries with at least some semblance of labour laws, too, if that's important to you; just about everything in H&M seems to be made in Bangladesh, India, China or somewhere similarly worrisome, in my experience).

Still, as at every price point, fit is the most important thing. If it doesn't fit you it'll look crap. Zara's cuts do tend to fit small and slim people. Topman could be an option if you have one in your area. (Is Topman a thing in the US?)

You might also want to check for sales in department stores, and check Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx if you have those around. It's a complete crap shoot but sometimes you luck out there. And again the main main main main thing is, does it fit you and do you feel comfortable in it.

I agree with the part about discount stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads