• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longevity of the V-Neck T?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V-Necks give the illusion of your shoulders being broader. It's like a "horizontal stripes make you look wide" thing. I have no idea why it works, but that's what they say.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dlester, agree.

I am not sure about V necks making your shoulders look wider, I guess that is possible but I've never really thought it of it that way, but I've always thought V-necks with the right V-depth can elongate your neck and face in a good way. Also, as I always wear that band-collar Moto jacket, it's the best choice for that too. Collar of jacket graces collar bones, V-neck under shows as a lesser layer and lowers the frame of your neck, giving it more height. Crewneck doesn't work as well, and this goes for many outers. If you're gonna show undershirt, almost always better as a V - blazers, leather jackets, etc.

Crewnecks (knits as well) are frumpy. Pocket tees are better but still apply to the ideas above and don't find their way into my wardrobe, but I have 40 or more plain white V neck undershirts. Planning to make the ultimate version as well.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
V-Necks give the illusion of your shoulders being broader. It's like a "horizontal stripes make you look wide" thing. I have no idea why it works, but that's what they say.

i actually think it's the opposite. Most V-necks i try on make my shoulders look narrower, which is why i usually stick to crew necks. never as undershirts though.

i have found better fitting v-necks recently though and have been subbing them in.

Ibrock

Reaction score
I also like to follow the crew neck on its own, v-neck as an undershirt philosophy but I have alot of trouble finding v-neck undershirts that don't peak out under button ups (I leave 2 buttons undone), I can't be the only one with this problem.... I currently just have cheap dept. store 5-pack v-neck undershirts which aren't quite cutting it, does anybody know of a reasonably priced v-neck that's cut a little deeper?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
I think there's a big backlash against deep V-necks because of their ubiquity post-American Appparel, but as a whole? Uhhh ... no. I don't wear many myself personally, but if you have a nice chest and/or it is currently summer, sure, why not?

There's your answer ^^^

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
i actually think it's the opposite. Most V-necks i try on make my shoulders look narrower, which is why i usually stick to crew necks. never as undershirts though.

i have found better fitting v-necks recently though and have been subbing them in.

From your fit pics man, I honestly think you can indeed do v-necks, you just need a deeper V by about 1-1.5", with the shirts longer by about 2" or more, and pants slouched about that much as well. I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but have you tried the American Apparel classic V, sized to your natural shoulders?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
From your fit pics man, I honestly think you can indeed do v-necks, you just need a deeper V by about 1-1.5", with the shirts longer by about 2" or more, and pants slouched about that much as well. I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but have you tried the American Apparel classic V, sized to your natural shoulders?

thanks for the advice man.

unfortunately (fortunately?) i don't live in america, so no i haven't tried them. However, i have been wearing a couple of henley shirts which i think have the same effect. Quite a long drop down the chest, also a bit longer length. What you wear saying about them elongating the neck is kinda a bad thing for me though. I have quite a long neck, which kent picked up on from my fit the other day. I have been looking in the mirror and either the deeper V or the longer length or both does seem to even out my proportions a bit. Maybe it's that it has less of a taper at the waist too.

Slouching my jeans is seriously an absolute last resort for me. Am trying all the other options first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads