1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Longest duration you've been at one company?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by wj4, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

8 months, woooo! But my job sucks so hopefully I'll be here no longer than 1 year.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

10.5 yrs at my current....

4. forseti6

forseti6 Senior member

Four years... And only because it was the Army and I couldn't leave a day sooner. Prior to that 20 months. I just turned 31 and I'm on my fourth job.

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

8 1/2 years. I went from contract to full time with three lateral moves to an international assignment to middle management. By that time I had hit the ceiling because I needed to wait for people to retire before there was any more room to move. I was really at the top of my game in the Canadian side of the organization and thought I'd blow it up and move on. Originally my plan was to stay two years to be honest.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

In October I will have been with my current employer for 8 years.

I work at very large company. As such I can, and have, worked in a few different areas doing very different things all while still being at the same employer. I don't even think that you have to be at that big of a company for this to be true either. Especially if you're bright and hardworking. Good management will sometimes want to move you around to different areas to groom you for management.

Also, you are still at your first job out of school so you shouldn't feel anxious about the impression your resume might give if you leave after one year. Sometimes it just takes a while to find the right fit. The first job that I worked in out of college, actuarial consulting, was awful. I hated my job and my life. Nine months later I started working for my current company at 80% of pay and loved the work that I did.

7. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

The first job is always tough. Stay too long and you feel like you can't move, don't stay enough and you feel like you'll be branded a flake. I think there's more latitude than most people realize. Stay until you feel that you should leave. It's as simple as that. If that means staying 8 years, great. If that means 6 months, fine.

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The reason I feel like it's my time to leave is because I'm not being challenged anymore. I've done all the stuff here to the point where it's a cycle. Plus the pay is not the most competitive, I'm not getting tuition reimbursement, and I'm driving about 40 miles one way. I am grateful and all to get the job with relative ease.

I have my 4th interview with a potential employer this week. I hope I land the gig. The ambiance feels a lot more to my liking as well. The process is a 5 step system...first 2 interviews were via phone. The latter 3 are in person. They keep weeding out the prospects with every single one. Feels like I'm deep in the play offs right now, haha.

I read some where that a person of my generation who is fresh out of school will switch careers 3-5 times. With me, I wouldn't doubt it. I find interest in so many things. The downfall is as the saying goes "Jack of all traits, master of none".

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

current job. owned company for 4.5 years, there over 1 since acquisition. before that, never more than 2 years

10. Prince

Prince Senior member

I'm currently at my first job and I've been here for 3.5 years. But this is my 3rd job within this company, so it is not as if I've been sitting still. Pay has increased as well over the years. I cannot see myself in this particular job for more than 2 years actually, so if I can move up here I might consider it. Otherwise, I'm looking at a different company.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

13 years next month. Have switched positions within the company, though.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I'm closing in on 5 years at my current employer. This is my longest job held and my first full-time job in the field since I finished undergrad (started and finished grad school since being here as well). The only full-time job I've held longer was 6 years in the Marine Corps.

Speaking of longevity...

I was at the Detroit branch of the Chicago Fed a few weeks ago and was watching the folks count and sort the money that was coming in and going out. The woman I was meeting with there said that their counters have been with the Fed doing the same job an average of about 40 years. During the 15 years that the woman I know has been at the Fed, she said they've only hired 1 counter. I just find that type of lack of turnover for one position at one organization to be noteworthy.