• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London business trip, what to wear?

beefcake

Reaction score
So, I'm going to London next week. I work in Norway regularly, and the dress code in the office is quite relaxed. I wear (dark) jeans and a shirt with sneakers or black shoes, mostly. My boss told me that suit+tie is standard officewear in the UK?

I'm going to do some consulting and sales meetings, regarding automatic bank reconciliation software, meeting people who work with bank reconciliations and most probably their manager(s). I'm going as a technical consultant, and I will be accompanied by a sales representative in the sales meetings. I might be doing a software installation or two on my own, too.

My question is, how serious do I have to be clothing-wise, being the tech-guy and all? In my world, a tie is worn on weddings, funerals and at your dads 50th birthdayparty. Is it a must?

So I have to wear a suit. Fine. What colours are acceptable? Is dark grey or dark blue the way to go if I want to be taken seriously, or can I go with something brighter, like a more beige or light grey colour?

What type of suit-jackets are appropriate for work situations? I went to H&M to find something cheap yesterday and much of it looked like it was suited (hE He) for weddings and such. You know, shiny and twelve types of pockets (but none of which you could actually use). I'd think something more 'strict' was in place, here?

I'd highly appriciate any type of input.

juniper

Reaction score
Dark Grey or Navy or striped suit, Black shoes, shirt in White, Blue, Pink or striped, reasonable looking tie, and you can't go wrong.

I wouldn't wear a light coloured suit at any time of the year, and especially in Winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads