• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone wear their Burford boots in the summer? Or any other boots, come to that. With all good wishes, Munky.

srlclark

Reaction score
Does anyone wear their Burford boots in the summer? Or any other boots, come to that. With all good wishes, Munky.

I wore my brown suede Chatsworth out to dinner last night. I think suede boots can work in summer. But I'd have thought that a chukka - as it's desert boot-ish - would work better than a Chelsea, ideally.

srlclark

Reaction score
Think of it this way, shoes at this level are rarely "perfect" so any exchange pair would more than likely have imperfections of their own. What's to say that this pair would have been better? They could actually have an imperfection that you dislike more!! Now there's an encouraging thought :fonz:

Wouldn't that be true of handmade shoes at any level? I'd have thought that Loake are too expensive to be perfect, rather than too cheap. A machine-made shoe at half the price might be perfectly symmetrical, but even the best shoemaker using their hands will have some slightly uneven stitching or dye application.

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be true of handmade shoes at any level? I'd have thought that Loake are too expensive to be perfect, rather than too cheap. A machine-made shoe at half the price might be perfectly symmetrical, but even the best shoemaker using their hands will have some slightly uneven stitching or dye application.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point of buying a more expensive handmade shoe if it has the same mistakes/quality as a cheaper handmade shoe? By this logic it would be stupid to pay £500 for Crockett and jones when I can pay £220 for Loake, it would be farcical to even consider john lobbs!!

An upgrade in materials only takes the price up so much, the other factor of the higher price point is to cover the costs in meeting much tighter tolerance levels for the specific factory in question.
Whilst you're indeed correct that handmade is always likely to have a possible imperfection or three, the severity, location and quantity will be less in your higher priced handmade shoes and that costs money.

srlclark

Reaction score
I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point of buying a more expensive handmade shoe if it has the same mistakes/quality as a cheaper handmade shoe? By this logic it would be stupid to pay £500 for Crockett and jones when I can pay £220 for Loake, it would be farcical to even consider john lobbs!!

An upgrade in materials only takes the price up so much, the other factor of the higher price point is to cover the costs in meeting much tighter tolerance levels for the specific factory in question.
Whilst you're indeed correct that handmade is always likely to have a possible imperfection or three, the severity, location and quantity will be less in your higher priced handmade shoes and that costs money.

You're right - I didn't mean to suggest that there was a possibility of defects being as glaring on the more expensive shoes, just there being some defects that wouldn't necessarily occur on machine-made shoes. To my mind, those Loake Buckinghams under discussion have only very minor defects, and I think it's possible that most Loakes also only have very minor defects, but I agree that the tighter tolerance levels will mean that far fewer Crockett and Jones or JL have major defects than do Loake. (Of course, there are many other problems with machine-made shoes, but they can be very symmetrical).

I'd have thought one of the main reasons C&J costs more than Loake is because they are made in Britain from start to finish and so the labor costs are higher, whereas Loake save on labor costs by having some of the manufacturing done in parts of the world where wages are lower. Perhaps the British labor is more highly skilled, but I don't think the gap in skill is equal to the gap in pay. One reason to buy C&J would be to support good labor relations. Sure, the quality will be better, too, but isn't it quite common to say that the increase in quality is, beyond a certain price point, generally less marked than the increase in price?

Meyboom

Reaction score
Labour costs are one thing, but the cost of the raw material, leather in this case, is another. One has to admit that the leather quality of the more expensive brands is on another level. This will not be this apparent in say the first six months, but it is just the way it develops over the years. Same goes for the soles, insoles, leatherboard heels etc. But this does not mean that Loakes aren't good shoes for their price, it is just about how much wants to pay for (even) better quality. As long as one stays with the 'real' shoe brands a higher price will mean better quality. Personally I think the quality of Vass and Enzo Bonafe are amazing, and I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' to say EG, JLP, GG etc... but of course this is something one has to decide for himself

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Labour costs are one thing, but the cost of the raw material, leather in this case, is another. One has to admit that the leather quality of the more expensive brands is on another level. This will not be this apparent in say the first six months, but it is just the way it develops over the years. Same goes for the soles, insoles, leatherboard heels etc. But this does not mean that Loakes aren't good shoes for their price, it is just about how much wants to pay for (even) better quality. As long as one stays with the 'real' shoe brands a higher price will mean better quality. Personally I think the quality of Vass and Enzo Bonafe are amazing, and I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' to say EG, JLP, GG etc... but of course this is something one has to decide for himself

We have to define what "leather quality" is here. High end makers and lower tier makers use the same tanneries most of the time but the high end makers only use the very best pieces of a skin while a makers like Santos, Carmina, Loake, etc will not be as "picky" when clicking (cutting the leather). It does not mean the leather in itself is inferior in quality, it just doesn't always look as good.

hellomoto

Reaction score
Hi,

Fan of the Loake 1880 range. Currently have the Heston in black and Mahogany (not brown), Ledbury black and brown, Aldwych and the Funnelweb. Haven't worn the Aldwych yet as I'm not sure about the last (Capital) as I prefer the Claridge. Does anyone know the exact difference as I'm convinced the heel support is wider on the Capital.

I treat my Ledbury Brown with Saphir medium brown and recently bought the Mahogany for the Hestons but I’m finding the Polish a bit dark (more red). Is this normal?

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 36 14.jpg

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 34 32.jpg

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 32 36.jpg

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi,

Fan of the Loake 1880 range. Currently have the Heston in black and Mahogany (not brown), Ledbury black and brown, Aldwych and the Funnelweb. Haven't worn the Aldwych yet as I'm not sure about the last (Capital) as I prefer the Claridge. Does anyone know the exact difference as I'm convinced the heel support is wider on the Capital.

I treat my Ledbury Brown with Saphir medium brown and recently bought the Mahogany for the Hestons but I’m finding the Polish a bit dark (more red). Is this normal?

View attachment 814349

View attachment 814350

View attachment 814351

Hi hellomoto

This Loake blog may be of some assistance regarding the Capital and Claridge differences

http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/shoe-lasts-and-styles-part-1/

Regards

Carl

hellomoto

Reaction score
Hi hellomoto

This Loake blog may be of some assistance regarding the Capital and Claridge differences

http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/shoe-lasts-and-styles-part-1/

Regards

Carl

Great thanks.

@hellomoto Awesome setup!

What is the middle brown one? It looks good. Also what brand is that furniture? - it looks very smart as well :)

That's the Ledbury in brown. They do seem lighter than the website photo but Saphir medium brown seems to match it well. As for the furniture, it was a gift from my girlfriend and she won't tell me where it's from.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own the Loake Ayr in G width?

I have a pair of Crockett Jones Bradford 8G which is a perfect fit. But CJ Bedford 8G is too small.

Wondering if Ayr 8G would fit same as CJ Bradford 8G.

I wear orthotics hence the wider fit. Any feedback would be great. I tried googling 026 last and Ayr, but the model has been discontinued.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Carl1955

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Loake Ayr in G width?

I have a pair of Crockett Jones Bradford 8G which is a perfect fit. But CJ Bedford 8G is too small.

Wondering if Ayr 8G would fit same as CJ Bradford 8G.

I wear orthotics hence the wider fit. Any feedback would be great. I tried googling 026 last and Ayr, but the model has been discontinued.

Thanks.

Hi suitforcourt

There is a pair of Loake Ayr size 8 in G width currently on ebay with only a "little wear" which may be of interest to you?, sorry can't help with your fit question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOAKE-AYR...639537?hash=item33d33294b1:g:ljkAAOSwfJJZZeFO

Carl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads