• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claus

Reaction score

105 x 270mm, size 7 nominally but with my width I often have to stretch shoes or half size up.

I tried mine on at Pediwear and the 7.5 is just about perfect. I can actually move my toes which is unusual for me.

Because a foot length of 270mm equals a UK 8.5 (assuming correct measurements, of course). Shoes in UK 7.0 or UK 7.5 are too short.

Just saying. No offense!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Loake leather/fibreboard issue, why not e-mail Loakes? I have found them to be very helpful and prepared to discuss all sorts of issues about their shoes. Let us know what they say! Regards, Munky.

muddy250

Reaction score

Because a foot length of 270mm equals a UK 8.5 (assuming correct measurements, of course). Shoes in UK 7.0 or UK 7.5 are too short.

Just saying. No offense!

None taken. :)
Kinda depends which chart you use tho. I find charts which say I'm 7, 7.5, 8 etc and then when you take into account manufacturer variation and last shapes the only way to go is to visit the store and be fitted.
The chap at Pediwear told me not to pay any attention to sizing or to get my feet measured. Just to get the boots fitted properly by trying them and being advised by an experience salesman. If I went to an 8 much less an 8.5 my foot would fall out of the shoe! :)

Last edited:

Claus

Reaction score

None taken. :)

Kinda depends which chart you use tho. I find charts which say I'm 7, 7.5, 8 etc and then when you take into account manufacturer variation and last shapes the only way to go is to visit the store and be fitted.
The chap at Pediwear told me not to pay any attention to sizing or to get my feet measured. Just to get the boots fitted properly by trying them and being advised by an experience salesman. If I went to an 8 much less an 8.5 my foot would fall out of the shoe! :)

Well, salesmen like to sell. That's why they want you in the shop. Most of them also don't care about fit, as long as you have money to spend.

For what it's worth, the data tells a different story. People with your foot length usually wear shoes in UK 8.5 when they have an average foot volume (widths, girths).

Your foot volume is below average (ie. narrow heel and ball, low instep) which is why you need to size down to reduce the volume of "normal" shoes. Then, the shoes are too short, of course. As you said, you may not be able to move your toes, and there's a higher risk to develop a deformity (see hallux valgus, for instance).

The right way is to stick close to the correct length, and search for a last that provides a lower volume. Depending on what Loake lasts you wear, Meermin's Hiro last may work in UK 8.0, for instance. I think, I've seen Loakes with a E (ie. narrow) fitting.

Anyway, just wanted to say your experience concerning your feet is not surprising, given you're trying lasts in these sizes.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place, but I ordered these Peale & Co. suede wingtips from BB last week and they have just arrived. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Distressed-Suede-Wingtips/MH00138,default,pd.html

After doing a bit of research and asking around, I figured that these particular shoes are Loake 1880s (Made in England). They came in very nice packaging with 2 navy shoebags with branding and packed in tissue paper. I got them for 120$ shipped and I think they're keepers. My first pair of English shoes and though the toebox is wider than some of my dress shoes, the last seems sleeker from a side view. They fit TTS (12D Brannock).

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Darkside. I found an old post that suggests they're made by C&J or Sargents; not by Loake.

Here is the post for your information http://www.styleforum.net/t/26830/are-brooks-peal-shoes-made-by-loake.

Even in there, different opinions are expressed; but it does seem to confirm that they're not made by Loake.

Lovely shoes by the way.

Thanks for the comment and the link AJC; I searched the net far and wide before ordering these, and between SF and AAAC (though there is ambiguity) it seemed that Loake may manufacture the sub-500$ Peales. It seemed that the AS P&Co's have more of a block style branding whereas the Loake may have the elongated typeface. Of course, I may still be wrong.

Last edited:

ajc2162

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question regarding Loake 1880 collection.

Is it true that the heel stack in Loake 1880 shoe is made out of Fiberboard instead of leather stacks?

Thanks

Hi classics, did you hear this from a credible source?

Sorry but it sounds like a load of bollocks. Loake is very transparent about its production process and even has a video that shows the production process. Anyway, fibreboard is a relatively recent invention and Loake, like all the traditional Northampton shoemakers, have been doing this for a long time.

From their website
Loake 1880
No detail is compromised in this premium range of footwear, made using techniques that can be traced back to when loake first started. We use the very best hand-burnished calf leather, as well as our own leather-built heels, leather linings and insoles.

So I'll happily stand corrected; but even if you did turn out be right, what does it really matter? Personally, I couldn't care less if they used compressed cornflake packets.

I trust their reputation and they're well-made and last for ages.

ajc2162

Reaction score
Quote:
Actually I think you may be right. It all gets very confusing who makes what for whom - and they seem to chop and change al the time.

But the 1818 does seem to be a pointer to Loake doesn't it? Sorry I can't offer anything more - it's frustrating not to be able to get a definitive answer?

If it's bugging you, you could perhaps email Loake or Brooks Brothers?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I think you may be right. It all gets very confusing who makes what for whom - and they seem to chop and change al the time.

But the 1818 does seem to be a pointer to Loake doesn't it? Sorry I can't offer anything more - it's frustrating not to be able to get a definitive answer?

If it's bugging you, you could perhaps email Loake or Brooks Brothers?

I actually edited my post because in my mind I had forgotten 1818 was the BB trademark, not Loake's, so excuse me for that. But I did speak to two different BB representatives and got the same response, that they "were not allowed to disclose who manufactures their shoes." Go figure. Either way it's a win-win. It's not frustrating--more of a topic of interest for those looking at English shoes via a somewhat more accessible avenue.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place, but I ordered these Peale & Co. suede wingtips from BB last week and they have just arrived. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Distressed-Suede-Wingtips/MH00138,default,pd.html After doing a bit of research and asking around, I figured that these particular shoes are Loake 1880s (Made in England). They came in very nice packaging with 2 navy shoebags with branding and packed in tissue paper. I got them for 120$ shipped and I think they're keepers. My first pair of English shoes and though the toebox is wider than some of my dress shoes, the last seems sleeker from a side view. They fit TTS (12D Brannock).
Those are the same as the Loake 'Jack'. Not from the 1880 range.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the same as the Loake 'Jack'. Not from the 1880 range.

Thank you Wes! I believe you're right. They are identical to the Loake Jack. And though they're from the often-maligned non-1880 range, I think that 120$ they're probably still worth hanging onto for a casual shoe. I had originally thought that the non-1880 range was not manufactured in England. Any info. on the build or quality of these is welcome.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you Wes! I believe you're right. They are identical to the Loake Jack. And though they're from the often-maligned non-1880 range, I think that 120$ they're probably still worth hanging onto for a casual shoe.  I had originally thought that the non-1880 range was not manufactured in England. Any info. on the build or quality of these is welcome.

The Loake Jack is from the 'Design' range, I have a pair in Sand suede. They look just like BB's Beige ones. Mine are stamped m.i.E. inside the lining.

Fwiw, stuffs stamped m.i.E. are sometimes just minimally finished there, enough to be able to have the m.i.E. mark.

Regardless of where they're made, they're solid shoes, esp for $120.

Last edited:

classics

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @zarkov,

Actually all the 1880 line heels look the same. I do have a loafer from 1880 line and the heel stack seems to be exactly as in Loake Aldwych.

The bigger concern is, how much of a difference it makes to the comfort of a shoe with fiberboard heel stack vs leather heel stack?

@ajc2162
I hope you are right and the heel counters are made of leather, Fiberboard is obviously stiffer and it does affect the comfort if you log in long hours in your shoes.
As a reference, when I got the Loake 1880 Loafers, was a bit surprised to find the "Stiffness" in the heel counter area. It seemed to be a bit stiff distinct piece between the upper and the lining at the heel counter area (meaning it felt more like a thermoplastic type of insert). My expectation was that Loake 1880 being their top of the line range will have a bit softer heel counter and I expected them to have pure leather heel stacks.

Last edited:

muddy250

Reaction score

Well, salesmen like to sell. That's why they want you in the shop. Most of them also don't care about fit, as long as you have money to spend.

For what it's worth, the data tells a different story. People with your foot length usually wear shoes in UK 8.5 when they have an average foot volume (widths, girths).

Your foot volume is below average (ie. narrow heel and ball, low instep) which is why you need to size down to reduce the volume of "normal" shoes. Then, the shoes are too short, of course. As you said, you may not be able to move your toes, and there's a higher risk to develop a deformity (see hallux valgus, for instance).

The right way is to stick close to the correct length, and search for a last that provides a lower volume. Depending on what Loake lasts you wear, Meermin's Hiro last may work in UK 8.0, for instance. I think, I've seen Loakes with a E (ie. narrow) fitting.

Anyway, just wanted to say your experience concerning your feet is not surprising, given you're trying lasts in these sizes.

The guys at Pediwear aren't really like the usual salesmen. A lot of pride in getting it right.
I've worn a 7 the last 50 years and my feet are inordinately wide. More on a par with a size 11 foot width in a standard fitting so I tend to ignore the data as my feet don't match up. :)
The Chester is perfect after some stretching and the Hyde is the most comfortable I've had out of the box. To compound all this my left foot is wider than my right as a result of an injury that left me with a protruding knuckle l, like a bunion but not.
This is the main point I have to stretch for.
In the end I get well fitting shoes without much bother but mail order is too hit and miss. You can't beat trying a pair on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads