• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers without socks

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a preppy thing. I do it a lot in penny loafers, shave your feet/toe hairs...

Wear some slim khakis and parade in your penny loafers with your feet in the nude.

Feels good, man. I also do so with boat shoes, and not only when i'm boating.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know much about style trends of the South - I try not to go there.
But frankly, when I see the sock-less-loafer thing, the first thing that comes to my mind is "Diso-Suavea", the rayon shirt wearing, lounge lizzard of the 80's.

Great first post! Happy that you can bring up a ten-month-old thread regarding not wearing socks--in the middle of winter.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Its a preppy thing. I do it a lot in penny loafers, shave your feet/toe hairs...

WHAAAA?! I'd say I wear socks 3-4 times a month, if that, year-round. There's nothing to it. Anyone who over-thinks this or "tries" to go sock-less is missing the point. Simply put, you don't need socks as long as you have a respectable shoo rotation.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no objection to the concept. But don't your feet get cold? I live in ATL too and I'm wearing wool over the calf socks today!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I went to school in the North and even then would rarely wear socks unless I was wearing athletic shoes, boots or lace-ups. The main issue is that I usually wear loafers and unless it's a more formal event I just really never think to put them on. I will say that I don't strive to wear high hems like most who abstain from wear socks do. Not going for the Mashburn look.

In terms of today I'm wearing bit loafers and no socks. I have also not left the office all day, so...

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are tougher than me man - my little footsies would not be happy without socks this time of year.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a personal preference as well as depending on the occasion of your dress. As for me, I always feel like the person that is wearing loafer sockless are experiencing sweaty feet and I get uncomfortable for them. But whatever tickles your pickle man.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
obviously not ideal without socks in winter, but for casual looks of summer on a beach or yacht, why not..

renn

Reaction score
Wear some slim khakis and parade in your penny loafers with your feet in the nude.
Feels good, man. I also do so with boat shoes, and not only when i'm boating.

+1
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Simplicio

Reaction score
I did this all the time in my preppy youth (80s). I can even recall that we thought it was cool to go sockless in the winter. But maybe that just shows how dumb we were.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear loafers without socks but mostly with pants. If I'm wearing loafers with shorts, it's often more casual loafers or drivers. But I've worn Allen Edmonds Westchesters with socks, no socks, pants, shorts, etc.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Masses of people in Spain / Italy / Portugal would disagree with you.

Côte d'Azur as well...it is very common there. This is quite an old thread, so rather than getting into it with any of the previous posters, I will second the suggestion of loafer socks. Make sure to get good ones though as the round only ones tend to show which just looks trashy.

Antome

Reaction score
I have never found a way to make loafers look anything but dorky/geriatric/effeminate when worn with socks. Without socks and it is hard to make it back home clothed.

I agree about that as you are probably thinking about when loafers are way too dressy to be worn with shorts let alone sockless or when the socks are too high. That's what makes the elder unfinished look., but I was talking about t-shirts (modern), shorts, and casual loafers (leather brown or suede or other colors) not black loafers, varnished or with tassels or masks, but loafers for every occasion or boat shoes (if with laces) that can be dressy but also an everyday shoe. And definitely never wear dress socks but short ankle socks, just like those i would wear with converse or other closed shoes. Sockless migh look better with these shoes but if you like them you can go creative with shorts and ankle socks of many color, in my opinion, just avoid too bright colors and white, black is always a safe choice.
An exapmple might be these shoes
http://images.askmen.com/fashion/articlepics/tip7.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads