• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers without socks

glenjay

Reaction score
The shoes the OP posted are hideous, so no I would not wear them with socks, or anything else for that matter.

However, the purpose of wearing loafers without socks is to be very casual. Basically like wearing sandles or huaraches, but with a little more protection. A dress loafer should not be worn without socks, but casual loafers, boat shoes, and the like, can be worn without socks if paired with casual pants or shorts.

When wearing casual loafers with shorts the idea is that it is warm enough to expose your legs, and thererfore warm enough to expose your ankles. Anyone that wears shoes without socks in the cold is simply making the wrong statement ("look at me I'm an idiot").

Bare skin against leather can sometimes be uncomfortable or produce odor for some people. In those cases a shoe sock liner can be used (Johnston & Murphy, as well as others, carries various colors [black, white, tan] for about $8 a pair).

samcajou

Reaction score
Not wearing socks with those loafers is a very, very bad idea. Wear socks like everybody else, please. But if you really want to pursue that desire of yours then just do it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
falke_family_sneaker1.jpg

+1
teacha.gif

TintinATL

Reaction score
Loafers without socks is fine and can look casual and stylish. Here in the south it's quite popular. However, THOSE loafers are not very attractive and – if you are white – they are too close to skin color. There won't be enough contrast.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get some of those loafer socks posted above? I know Banana Republic and J Crew sell them but those look to be made better

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use cedar shoe trees in them shoes for odor control, please...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoejohn
First time poster here. Loafers without socks. Do you think it is a good look?
um... duh. this is the only way to rock loafers in warmer months. not a fan of all the formal shoes posted in here though, kind of defeats the purpose of going casual.

Reaction score
Rock loafers? Sheesh.

Antome

Reaction score
I think it can look good, even with shorts depending on the type of loafers and how you carry off the whole ensemble. And once you find your ultimate loafer that is flexible and fits like a glove it can be very comfortable, but I understand that otherwise you only get blisters and sweat.
nod[1].gif
bye

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, the purpose of wearing loafers without socks is to be very casual. Basically like wearing sandles or huaraches, but with a little more protection. A dress loafer should not be worn without socks, but casual loafers, boat shoes, and the like, can be worn without socks if paired with casual pants or shorts.

When wearing casual loafers with shorts the idea is that it is warm enough to expose your legs, and thererfore warm enough to expose your ankles. Anyone that wears shoes without socks in the cold is simply making the wrong statement ("look at me I'm an idiot").

Masses of people in Spain / Italy / Portugal would disagree with you.

mountainMan

Reaction score
I don't know much about style trends of the South - I try not to go there.
But frankly, when I see the sock-less-loafer thing, the first thing that comes to my mind is "Diso-Suavea", the rayon shirt wearing, lounge lizzard of the 80's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads