• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafer sizing help?

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I usually wear size 7 lace-up shoes and trainers. The other day, I bought a pair of loafers the same size and upon fitting, it was a perfect fit but the leather has stretched from wearing and heel slippage is occuring. (There was a good 2cm of toe room left) I did buy some heel foam pads from amazon which does help.

Does that mean that when I purchase a pair of loafers, I should buy a half size down?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is hard to answer, and will depend on your foot shape an individual eccentricities. I usually buy a smaller size loafer. For example, in C+J I'm an 11 and in their loafers I usually get 10.5. In the Camden suede loafer I'm even a 10.

Now some caveats - I have a very high bridge and a high instep, and because loafers are cut without as much space going upwards, sometimes the tops can be very tight. This means sometimes I have to buy loafers at 11 (UK) or 12 (US) to accommodate my high bridge - this usually results in some heel slippage, especially as the leather expands.

So depending on your foot, you may do better a half size down. If you have a normal or low bridge/arch I would imagine you will do better a half size down. Just make sure they aren't tight across the bridge. I've bought loafers that were tight on the bridge and perfect in the heel and I'll take perfect in the bridge and slightly loose in the heel any day. Tight on bridge = pain.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
I've got a low bridge & arch but quite a wide foot. The size 7 bridge & arch fit is perfect but the heel slippage is quite annoying.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I would say if the bridge and arch feel good at 6.5 and the shoes isn't tight in the sides then you could try it.

Where are you buying from? Loafers in widths are often hard to find, but Allen Edmonds tends to go all the way to EEE on some of their models. Possible a 6.5 EE or something might be perfect for you.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Then I would say if the bridge and arch feel good at 6.5 and the shoes isn't tight in the sides then you could try it.

Where are you buying from? Loafers in widths are often hard to find, but Allen Edmonds tends to go all the way to EEE on some of their models. Possible a 6.5 EE or something might be perfect for you.

I haven't tried a 6.5 shoe yet to confirm the bridge/arch fit. Only with my current size 7 loafers... I am not sure about E & EE, could you explain those to me? I would be very grateful! I was thinking Barker, if that is any good?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Barker at all, but it looks like their price point is similar to Allen Edmonds. Its lower on spec, but AE is on sale all the time (including right now) and might be effectually lower.

D or E or EE or EEE or F refers to widths. Many shoe makers do not really offer them. Crockett and Jones doesn't really do width - neither does Barker I don't think.

Allen Edmonds carries many different width in many models, for example I just pulled the first from their site in a google search

That loafer comes in B, D, E, and EEE.

As an example of how this comes together. I have always worn US Size 12. I wear UK size 11 (which is equal to 12). This isn't really my real size - I always have extra room in the toe. My high bridge/arch and my very wide feet basically "push in" to the front of the shoe when it doesn't have different widths.

An Allen Edmonds 10.5 EEE actually is a perfect fit for my foot. The middle isnt "pushing in" to the toe, its the actual correct width.

Now.....unfortunately....not all shoe makers offer widths and I'm not cool enough for bespoke shoes yet lol.

Are you trying to buy online? Are you in a major metro?

MontyChapman

Reaction score
I'm England and preferrably trying to buy from online. Is there a way to figure out if your foot is B,D,E, or EEE?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm England and preferrably trying to buy from online. Is there a way to figure out if your foot is B,D,E, or EEE?

Unfortunately I don't know how to measure without going in person. You might be able to contact them to ask. They also offer free returns in the US - which they may offer to Europe as well but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't help there :(.

c_omeara

Reaction score
When buying any slip-on shoe you should go a half size down, depending on the brand even a full size, with a loafer, you want no heel slippage, that will extend the life of the shoe and prevent uneven wear on the sole. As for checking if you are B, D, E, or EEE, try this article. Personally, the only time I purchase shoes online is if I know the brand and if I know what size fits me specific to that brand, I would try to see if you can go to a store and try some shoes on to find the right size, even if they aren't the exact ones you want, that way you can order exactly what you need. Hope this was a help!

Sfroide3

Reaction score
When buying any slip-on shoe you should go a half size down, depending on the brand even a full size, with a loafer, you want no heel slippage, that will extend the life of the shoe and prevent uneven wear on the sole. As for checking if you are B, D, E, or EEE, try this article. Personally, the only time I purchase shoes online is if I know the brand and if I know what size fits me specific to that brand, I would try to see if you can go to a store and try some shoes on to find the right size, even if they aren't the exact ones you want, that way you can order exactly what you need. Hope this was a help!

What you should be refering to is called last. Pretty much every shoe brands have differents lasts that fit differently in width, instep, etc. You can be a UK9 in a last a UK8 in a different one. Some lasts from a company won't fit you at all while a different one might be close to perfect. There is no "brand" size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads