• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Run SF only Handmade Bakers Oak Bark tanned Belt - possibly to include Russet

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just sent a pm to all who have expressed an interest in Russet - we're good to go if all those who expressed an interest are still keen. If you'd like one just let me know and we'll work out the details!

What I propose to make is this;

A very simple unornamented Russet belt with the focus on the character of the leather. The belt will have plain, un-burnished and un dyed edges. We will crease mark the belt but this is optional if you prefer not. The buckle will be stitched in at 8 stitched to the inch using 18/4 linen thread in a cream colour to match the simple look of the belt. The stitching is heavier in weight and thread size than our normal style - I think this will compliment the simplicity of the overall design. I suggest a brass West End Roller buckle for the belt which will make it available in 1", 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and 1 1/2" widths. The buckle looks more like our West End than the stainless steel West End Roller and is unique to this belt in our product range so that it has a buckle all of its own. We won't refinish the buckle or polish it so it will be starting to acquire its natural patina even before it arrives with you.

The belt will be made from 4mm Russet Bakers Bridle butt and I think the weight of the leather should vary towards the heavier rather than lighter as the intention is for a chunky belt that will age well.

I'm happy to customise the design as much as possible for individuals and you can pick any of our stainless, brass or nickel buckles if you'd prefer something different than the above. Anything you want to customise can probably be done

The price will be the same as the rest of the Bakers belt project belts, so £52.50 for anything up to 1 1/4" and £55 for anything over that plus P&P as per earlier messages. If you already have a belt ordered in another colour P&P will only be the increment, we'll ship everything together to save your postage costs. The belt will come with ones certificates stating the origin of the leather, the number of belts in the run and the number of your belt, etc etc all as per the original thread.

If you'd like to be involved then please just drop me a PM with your paypal email address, shipping info, width, length and buckle choice and a reminder if you have already have a belt ordered so we can combine the orders for you that would be great.

To get an idea of the buckle selection have a look at our website

Our sizing guide is here
http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Belt-Sizing-Guide.html

This is largely a copy and paste of the PM so sorry to those who have the info already.
Charlie

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie,

If you could possible snag some larger quick release buckles, I think that would be a perfect compliment to this belt.

Rambo,

They would work really well, but we can only get the 1 1/4 I'm afraid, sorry!

Charlie

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Rambo,

They would work really well, but we can only get the 1 1/4 I'm afraid, sorry!

Charlie

I know, but as a special project, it might be worth hunting down. The SW&D guys love those things.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just posted this in Mens Clothing, but a copy and paste so no-one misses it..

Just a quick update. The first of the belts have been made and will be on their way to their owner tomorrow. We're still waiting for the brass fobs to be made (suppliers drive me mad...) but will be here shortly but we will send them separately if we have to so people don't had to wait longer than needs be. The belts are being made in the order they were ordered, if that makes sense and we'll send a message to each new owner as their belt is made to confirm its about to be sent and give them tracking numbers etc. It'll take a while to get through them all as I'm making each one personally but if anyone wants an individual estimate just drop me a PM.

The Russet, which was the last of the three colours to be ordered, is due here this afternoon - Bakers have had a big response to the photo story that started all this and I think have struggled to keep up with demand a bit. Good news for them and for us as fans of what they do. I'll post a picture of it when its here.

I know Ive said it before, but I love the smell of the Australian Nut, its how leather should smell...

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quick picture of the russet - rubbish picture but the natural marks, scars and striations are present and visible as you would expect. I plan to cut it in such a way that scars that weaken or compromise the leather will be avoided but anything else will be used. The point to me of the russet is the character of the leather and it seems a shame to remove the features that make it what it is. Very happy to try to accommodate anyone who wants as clean a piece as possible, likewise anyone who specifically wants scars!

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

First Russet belt made and should leave here on Mon, fobs allowing. Its a good bit of leather and they should be all but immortal! It certainly blunts any knife that looks at it..

The Brass West End Rollers are due from the foundry any day, I'll keep everyone unto date with progress. We're going to put in a small tub of the Sedgwicks leather feed with each one, Bakers say it will work fine with their leather. I'm also going to put the excess length cut from each strap in the package as well so that people can experiment with leather treatment to see what effect it has on the colour. The Sedgwicks stuff seems to produce a pleasing not too dark colour but am sure people will want to experiment.

The next 5 Aus Nut belts will be made today as well and on their way on Mon fobs allowing. Am looking forward to peoples thoughts as they start to get them.

Charlie

jfoonly

Reaction score
No pix yet from anyone?? I'm patiently waiting at the bottom of the list, but some of you must have received your belts and can post some pictures...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads