• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's 511 Commuter Line

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been following the development of this line for months and when it dropped, I rushed down to my local Levi's store to pick up two pairs the day after. I am not a hardcore cyclist but when I do commute or ride to the store, I want to do it in comfort. The idea that a brand has made cycling specific pants (not big shorts, but casual clothes), for this pricepoint is unheard of and definitely should disrupt the market. Compare the $78 pricepoint Levi's is placing to denim from Cadence or Swrve.

They are definitely a skinny fit and I am not longer as bony as i once was. I got a 33 for both the indigo and twill and it fits quite well. The main features are a higher back, slot for U-Lock carrying, germ resistant finish, water resistant finish, 3M reflective elements, and stretch fabric.

Going to try to break them in next week. Anyone else interested?

poorman

Reaction score
I've been following Levi's Commuter line too.
I really want to buy the jacket and the jean.

Do you usually take a 33 for everything? I'm usually a 34, I'm worried I might have to size up.

I'm not in a rush though, hopefully it can be even cheaper with a some discount later.

B^2

Reaction score
cycling in denim is ******* stupid, it's not breathable and it's gonna smell like ass once you start sweating. plenty of other materials that are much better for pants.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But finding a place to change into cycling pants and then carrying an extra pair of pants with you and then changing back into your jeans for a 10-15 minute bike ride is not stupid?

I'm sure at a certain point every cyclist has his limit on when he's going to break out the bike shorts and when he's going to stick with whatever pants he was wearing.

Might pick up a pair in Tan if the price is right. U Lock feature is kind of weird because I'd rather carry it in a backpack or something.

Wade M

Reaction score
I'd love to know if you ended up sizing up, or not for the 511 skinny's. I'm not able to walk into a shop and try these bad boys on, and would be ordering from the other side of the world online.

I've been riding in my APC's for 6 months, and before that, in a pair of Sugarcanes for a year. Never had a problem with the smell, ride for 30-40 minutes a day, 5 days a week rain, hail, or shine....

Would appreciate the hand on if these are true-sized or not, and what they are like in the thighs.

Thanks,
--Wade

TheDroog

Reaction score
I like the idea of this line but not sure if it's for me. For commuting, jeans are the very last thing I'd ever wear -- too thick, too heavy, too hot. Plus my calves and thighs are too muscular for 511s. The commuting line is perfect for the Brooklyn hipster look though (skinny guys in jeans and converse). If I were very thin and didn't sweat so much, I would probably all over these jeans.

The jacket has more potential for me, but again, denim is heavy and hot. Maybe for fall commuting ...

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those asking about sizing questions, I feel they are true to size. I gained weight in the past year. I used to be a 32 but now I am a 33. I tried on the 32's just in case and they were very tight, even around the legs/thighs. I know everything is proportional but with many pants, I don't feel any difference in the leg area, just the waist. When I put on the 33's they were much better. Just remember that these are in fact skinny jeans. The lightweight denim feels more like wearing chinos/khakis so they aren't like cycling in APC's.

Wade M

Reaction score
@jhoo04, Was about to post to the proxy thread, for a purchase, how about I buy direct off you? Jeans and Jacket , as my profile says I live down-under these days again....

--Wade

blklblk

Reaction score
I wish they made the black ones full length.. they don't work with my calves..

fogg

Reaction score
I just got my pair of the jeans thanks to Jonathan and Lost+Found!

I really like them and how they fit. They're definitely slim, but with the stretch they should work really well for biking. I can't wait for it to actually be cool enough for me to try riding in them.

I think I might pick up one of the other pairs of pants, too, but first I'll wait and see how these perform.

rohde88

Reaction score

I'd love to know if you ended up sizing up, or not for the 511 skinny's. I'm not able to walk into a shop and try these bad boys on, and would be ordering from the other side of the world online.

I've been riding in my APC's for 6 months, and before that, in a pair of Sugarcanes for a year. Never had a problem with the smell, ride for 30-40 minutes a day, 5 days a week rain, hail, or shine....

Would appreciate the hand on if these are true-sized or not, and what they are like in the thighs.

Thanks,
--Wade

How'd they turn out?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up the jacket for 25% with that LABORDAY code. I hope it fits. haha. Everyone says it fits a little small so I got a large.

Thanks for the reminder. I picked up a small and medium and will just send one back. $7 is a small price to pay to get the right fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics