• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried either Everymen Espresso, Laughing Man Coffee & Tea, or Intelligentsia Coffee (NYC location), just some random lists I come up (more like stuff I heard is not bad but I have not tried in NYC).

p.s. and I mean to get a cup of coffee, not to buy beans, my personal day to day is Joe's Art of Coffee (Grand Central location), and I like both Gimme Coffee and Cafe Grumpy, and a bit underwhelmed by Stumptown

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like intelligentsia despite the third wave hate. A little too precious but their coffee is great.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a place in Windsor terrace in Brooklyn that serves French press intelligencia and it is amazing. They do a great job.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the Stumptown Ethiopian Chelbassa from Yirgacheffe this morning that Kevin Knox mentions in his blog post. It is really excellent, and the acidity isn't too prominent probably because of my brewing method (CCD) and it probably mixed with some retained grounds of Peet's Queen City in the grinder. Just joking about the latter: there's probably less than half a gram of retained grinds.

I get lots of toffee notes.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried out the cqcoffee motoretta today and my first pull was pretty good... Nice smooth extraction with a honey like flow ... I probably should have cut off the shot a few seconds before I did to optimize the flavor, but nonetheless, I can already taste a level of quality that is better than the other beans I've tried. Thumbs up to this roast

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had the Stumptown Ethiopian Chelbassa from Yirgacheffe this morning that Kevin Knox mentions in his blog post. It is really excellent, and the acidity isn't too prominent probably because of my brewing method (CCD) and it probably mixed with some retained grounds of Peet's Queen City in the grinder. Just joking about the latter: there's probably less than half a gram of retained grinds.

I get lots of toffee notes.

I had that last month, was quite nice.

Their Mordecofe has been one of my staples. Not sure which of those two I liked better, rather similar overall.

Last edited:

BenMusch

Reaction score
I get my coffee from a seattle-based company called Fonte. Medium roast and I have it with cream, no sugar. Sugar ruins coffee.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cqcoffee espresso motoretta turned out to be a bit too bright and fruity for my liking so they're sending me a free 12oz bag of something a bit more full-bodied :slayer:

The Daterra Terroir espresso is quite interesting - much more to my liking after just one pull - hoping it goes well with milk as a latte

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Chelbessa in a French press or paper filter brew. It should mellow out considerably. Apparently pressurized methods amplify acidity.

Also, the barista may have underextracted the espresso: it seems to be a bad habit for the 3rd wavers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt