• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather shoes causing marks on feet

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of suede chukkas for a while now and they fit fine. However, I've gotten dark skin marks on the upper parts of my feet, especially the curve where the ankle meets the foot. I'm guessing this is because of the constant rubbing between the inside leather of my shoes and my feet. I don't get any pain and the skin isn't broken (although its slightly rougher), but the dark marks are kind of concerning. Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

Pillars

Reaction score
Only with one pair of shoes I own. They are lined with dyed black leather and I usually wear them without socks. I don't always get marks when I wear them though, only if I have been sweating.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
The marks wash off in the shower, right? They're nothing to worry about. It happens to my socks sometimes, for one pair more than others.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, these aren't marks created by dye. The skin is literally darker and slightly rougher, which is why it seems like its caused by friction.

Found a picture of someone else with my condition through Google:

I'm referring to the spots on the big toes

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speculation and wild guesses: Several things come to mind...

First, dye will darken your skin. And It won't necessarily come off until the cells are replaced. I don't think you can rule out the chance of it being dye unless the lining of the shoe is significantly lighter in colour than the patches on your skin.

Second, some leather tanners do a really poor job of removing residual tanning compounds. This can be a problem with all leathers for different reasons but in your case a bark tanned leather may be reacting to the acidity of your skin or some chemical on your skin. Iron will stain bark tanned leathers and if for some reason you have surplus iron in your perspiration the staining will flow in both directions.

Is the leather lining stained in the same area as your foot?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads