• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather shoes and rain

tats

Reaction score
So I've searched around and found many threads on how to care for your shoes if they happen to get wet. However, most of the threads I read dealt with what to do AFTER you get home.

What can I do while at work?

I have a gorgeous pair of Chili Hale's by Allen Edmonds and underestimated how much it was raining on my walk to work. I had previously polished them with the AE cleaner but have always kept them dry. Today they aren't "soaked" or "saturated" but they are as wet as they could be without riseing to the prior two levels - they were basically covered in rain water over the 10 min walk. My feet don't feel wet so I doub't water got through.

I dried them off with a papertowel in the bathroom and did get some surface water but I'm nervous there could be water marks. Anything I can do while I'm here short of taking them off and stuffing them with newspaper (which I'm not sure they'd need)?

Thanks for any advice, I'm loving these shoes .

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Just wear them. Your shoes should be able to handle something like this. Tomorrow evening (after you've let them dry for a day), you'll be able to take a look and see how the leather looks. I imagine you'll want to repolish them to even out the patina.

tats

Reaction score

Just wear them. Your shoes should be able to handle something like this. Tomorrow evening (after you've let them dry for a day), you'll be able to take a look and see how the leather looks. I imagine you'll want to repolish them to even out the patina.

Great thanks! that's what I thought but got nervous I would end up with a pair of 3 week old ruined shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum tats.
In the event you notice a white film forming on them as they dry, it will mean there was a high salt content in the water that soaked them. You'll need a rag and some white vinegar to remove it. Wet rag with the vinegar. Squeeze out excess. Wipe of shoes with some pressure, rotating the cloth as you go. Let dry. If the white film persists, repeat this process as many times as is needed until it is gone. For those who live in regions with distinct seasons, the spring melt is around the corner. Investing in a pair of Swims or Totes or even full blown galoshes can help prevent or minimize water damage. An ounce of prevention, even in 2013, is still worth a pound of cure. Other threads of interest to you would be....

Last edited:

tats

Reaction score

Get a pair of Tingley over shoes. Problem solved and shoes saved.

Looking into it right now

Welcome to Styleforum tats.
In the event you notice a white film forming on them as they dry, it will mean there was a high salt content in the water that soaked them. You'll need a rag and some white vinegar to remove it. Wet rag with the vinegar. Squeeze out excess. Wipe of shoes with some pressure, rotating the cloth as you go. Let dry. If the white film persists, repeat this process as many times as is needed until it is gone. For those who live in regions with distinct seasons, the spring melt is around the corner. Investing in a pair of Swims or Totes or even full blown galoshes can help prevent or minimize water damage. An ounce of prevention, even in 2013, is still worth a pound of cure. Other threads of interest to you would be....

Thanks, is this something I should be doing now or once I get home and they start really drying out?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I've searched around and found many threads on how to care for your shoes if they happen to get wet. However, most of the threads I read dealt with what to do AFTER you get home.

What can I do while at work?

I have a gorgeous pair of Chili Hale's by Allen Edmonds and underestimated how much it was raining on my walk to work. I had previously polished them with the AE cleaner but have always kept them dry. Today they aren't "soaked" or "saturated" but they are as wet as they could be without riseing to the prior two levels - [COLOR=FF00AA]they were basically covered in rain water over the 10 min walk. My feet don't feel wet so I doub't water got through.

I dried them off with a papertowel in the bathroom and did get some surface water but I'm nervous there could be water marks[/COLOR]. Anything I can do while I'm here short of taking them off and stuffing them with newspaper (which I'm not sure they'd need)?

Thanks for any advice, I'm loving these shoes .

lol. Shoes are to protect your feet from the elements. If you are that worried that your shoes then don't wear them and carry them on your jacket pocket . alternatively get rid of the shoes completely and wear these

RikBe

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they are called but what do fashion oriented men think of the rubber overshoes one wears on top of their leather shoes when it's raining or snowy outside?...
1st, I'd just like to know what they are called!!!
Thanks!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads