• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets

username1111

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking to buy a leather jacket but need some advice on what to look for in a good quality one that will last for a long time please.

Thank you.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey guys. Looking to buy a leather jacket but need some advice on what to look for in a good quality one that will last for a long time please.

Thank you.

What's your budget and what style of leather jacket are you after?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Budget is between £100-£300 and unsure of the styles sorry. I guess something classic to modern maybe.

Even at a $150-450 pre-Brexit budget, you are working with a very limited budget for a leather jacket. Anything under $500 MSRP will likely be made in China with lower-end hardware. Your best bets are "high-street stores" like Zara, Banana Republic, Massimo Dutti, Scotch & Soda, etc. Higher quality leather jackets with improved design and East Asian manufacturing start around $1k USD. Examples would include Sandro, Theory, etc. If you are stateside, the best value would be something like Schott. The latter makes classic motorcyle jackets. Expect a budget >$2-3k for high-quality, contemporary leather outerwear from the likes of Rick Owens, Margiela, etc.

Btw, the Armani jacket posted above likely retails for >$2k

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
300 GBP is not going to do it, but have you considered doing something like Aero, in Scotland?

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/

They have cuts that are very traditional, and several modernized versions, and you can get very good quality leather from them - much higher than anything Massimo Dutti has ever done. Put it this way - companies like Levis Vintage Clothing will use Aero for sampling, and then get the jackets made in production, cheaper, elsewhere. Nigel Cabourn jackets also used to be made by Aero.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like how Massimo Dutti leather jacket look. Not sure about their quality, but I heard good things about their leather quality.

What good things did you hear? Also are there any other brands?

I have one and I'm very pleased with it. It feels nice, leather is good looking, it's not expensive and you can get it at 50% is you wait for the sale. I'm happt with my purchase. Although, some of their cuts are very slim, so for me, some of the models the shoulders didn't fit nicely but this one fits nice and I love it. :)

djblade1501

Reaction score
When you mention, Made in china with lower end hardware - If you have standard YKK metal zipper - There is not much difference then? RiRi zippers are quite comparable to the premium YKK zippers - Also if your leather is a certain weight and thickness with good grain - I do not think it should matter where you jacket comes from - No?

djblade1501

Reaction score
- Dont go for Lamb will not last long

- Schott has their lower line of jackets sold in EU, there are ways to get it if you're in the US, could be a very high quality jacket under 400$

- Sheep, Cow, Buffalo will last long

- Depending on your use - Motorcycle, Racing, Bomber there are tons to choose from.

For cheaper jackets you can replace every 3-4 years go to Zara and buy their real leather jackets( Not the PIG leather ones though)

Ebay - There are some nice new leather jackets under 500 - which would sell ~1000 ish, get those.

Brand you're looking for in that range
Barneys' - Flimsy entry level
Asos - Similar to Barney's in fit

Schott- High end, Amazing leather and quality
Aero - Amazing but expensive

Gustin - 400-600$ leather jacket, no experience on quality but they look good on their site.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you mention, Made in china with lower end hardware - If you have standard YKK metal zipper - There is not much difference then? RiRi zippers are quite comparable to the premium YKK zippers - Also if your leather is a certain weight and thickness with good grain - I do not think it should matter where you jacket comes from - No?

It's not just the main zipper. It may also include additional hardware on the jacket (e.g. motorcycle styles). Sourcing better leather with a good grain, appropriate weight, and attractive dyes is costly. European/Western manufacturing demands a premium. The latter may not add much to the quality of the garment, but it makes a difference once products are marketed as "luxury" goods.

Last edited:

djblade1501

Reaction score
I agree, it does demand a premium, but not all hides are sourced from China itself, the manufacturing is done there with standard YKK premium hardware, snaps etc. - but leather is imported from NZ, middle east, EU etc - which does add to cost - but not as much as the luxurious jackets go for, Made in EU is also a signalling mechanism for quality vs actual quality( I work with leather companies all over)

For Eg. In Italy, there is a town in Tuscany called Prado - which is entirely occupied by the chinese and they manufacture all sorts of goods at a cheaper rate undercutting italian labor. You could very well have something Made in Italy - but by a Chinese, not as skilled worker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics