• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf is going on in this thread?

In a nutshell...

@dieworkwear provided a lesson in something (it was either bean or horsehide related...have to double check)

@sinnedk disagreed

@kiya told a tall tale about the history of the burrito

@FrankCowperwood ate one his horse or goat jackets...wouldn't specify for fear of retaliation from the goat and horse communities

@UrbanComposition was awarded the "golden chisel" in honor of his work with actual chisels, not his chiseled features

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys black beans not belonging on a burrito is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, as long as I can remember every burrito joint in SF has offered black beans. Just cuz one guy says something doesn’t mean it’s gospel.

So pretty much, point proven?

How do y'all live in the post-apocolyptic yuppie hole of SF? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Is there anything redeeming about the city anymore?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So pretty much, point proven?

How do y'all live in the post-apocolyptic yuppie hole of SF? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Is there anything redeeming about the city anymore?

I still love it here, but the sequential waves of gentrification have made it ... less enjoyable. I recently joined Next Door and almost became a raging class warfare Marxist. It's the same fights over and over again in every Bay Area neighborhood: yuppie NIMBY-ists jealously protect their own neighborhoods from multi-family housing and high rise developments because they don't want to see their precious skyline ruined. Meanwhile, they'll complain about the rising level of homelessness (love to see people get mad at housing developments, but also hate people who don't have homes). Yuppies will move next to a decades-old bar and complain about the noise at night. Or move next to a taqueria and complain about the smell. Or a lower-income neighboorhood and complain about the number of homeless people. Over time, more of these things are replaced by wine and cheese shops.

I still love the crunchy Bay Area character. If you walk around the Mission, it's still great to see the remains of a somewhat diverse community (basically hipsters and working-class immigrants). I love the independent bookstores and music stores. There are lots of great public events from spring to fall, such as jazz and movie festivals. I also really like being close to strong, academic communities where people are doing thought-provoking work.

But a lot of that character is getting choked out because people who don't work in tech -- and it's a very small slice of tech -- can't afford to live here. Landlords are constantly kicking people out. And the people who move in are just ... annoying. I'll admit I live in a fully gentrified neighborhood -- it used to be a working-class Black neighborhood but it's now it's very yuppie. My street is lined with yard signs that say "WE BELIEVE BLACK LIVES MATTER AND WE WELCOME IMMIGRANTS." But in practice, since people rarely act against their own economic interest -- and these are about material issues -- actual black and immigrant communities don't get to live here at all. Fifteen years ago, when I first moved here, I think the Black population was 12%. Today it's about 3% and half of that population is homeless.

/rant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads