• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience using Gliptone conditioner on leather jackets? Specifically cowhide?

Last edited:

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
Unlike most on here (and even surprising to me), I actually was referred to company that makes custom leathers to fit for around $200CAD. I figured if it came back looking like ass, it wouldn't be a great loss and lesson learned. I do have a few leathers that are around 2K and up range, but decided to give this guy a chance. Sent him my measurements and received the jacket a few weeks later. I should have taken pre-wash pictures, but here is the jacket post wash from the washing machine and into the dryer. It fits like a glove, has lost it's sheen and is now much stiffer. Very happy with the construction and the way it turned out after the wash cycle. It's only been worn for about an hour, so I'm sure it will age nicely once I step out more often with it. :)

Can anyone give ideas of what conditioner that will not leave a shine to use on it, or should i just leave it as is?

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sort of pricing is honestly pretty normal for custom made jackets from smaller tailors. The leather won't be anything amazing but looks perfectly serviceable.

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
Figured since TOJ is basically MIA from what I've last gathered, I'd take a chance on any other tailor than him. All I was looking for was a jacket that was form fitted, and could get beat up some, absorb some beer stains, and what not while wearing up over a denim jacket for the summer/ spring months. Sure the stitching and leather isn't anything like a RO, Vanson, etc, but for $200CAD, tailored and incl shipping, I ain't complaining. Our dollar bites at the moment. The leather actually IS much nicer than I expected and do plan to get the stitching around reinforced and attach better quality YKK sliders than are on there currently.

I'll try to get fit pics if anyone is interested.
wink.gif

Cheers!

jglenn777

Reaction score

What is the brand/website your ordered it from? Did you have many leather options? Just wondering if you had the option of choosing between various qualities, colors, etc.

Also can you go more in depth about washing, drying, etc. I am always interesting in what techniques are best to properly mature a jacket and to make it your own.

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
I can send you the seller and website link in PM. The reason why I blocked out the tag and being somewhat ambiguous, is because in the case others purchase due to my positive experience and then they get burned for either reason of their own (inaccurate measurements) or fault of the company (not as advertised, ****** craftsmanship, etc), I don't want everyone blowing up on me.

As for the washing guidelines, I found most of the processes specifically from:
http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11700
http://helloblackbird.blogspot.ca/2009/07/washing-your-leather-jacket-by-peter.html

Personally, I turned the jacket inside out, put the wash on the 'warm' gentle cycle, added maybe a spoonful of Woolite (unsure why because the jacket was brand new but did anyway), then removed it from the front loader and wrong the remainder of the water out of it. Then while still inside out, I put in the dryer under the medium/ warm heat setting for about 40 minutes-or $1.75 worth of time. ha. Yes, I went to laundromat as I didn't want the dye in my washer, as well, I don't have front loader at home and figured a top loader would be too aggressive as my only intention was to lose the shine and obtain not only a matte finish, but also speed up the aging process somewhat. I cannot stand when dudes where new, shiny looking leather.

I ensured that it was pretty damp, damp enough to notice a considerable weight difference with the water still embedded in the material, but dry enough to wear comfortably while on the computer in order to obtain crease marks in the arms and elbows though I should have worn it longer. The creases will come through wear eventually anyways. After some time I hung it to dry overnight and it came out exactly as desired in the morning. I'm not going to call bullshit. It did take me some time to actually make the final decision to throw it in the wash and dryer, but after researching the process and not overdoing the heat and abrasive cycles as well, I figured if it fails, I've lost $200 and others have successfully done it with jackets worth well over 2k.

With this seller or tailors, I did not inquire about colour options as I already had the jacket I wanted somewhat replicated already on his site and he had an option to either purchase it as is, or the option to have that same jacket tailored to my body type at no extra charge. You would have to contact him to find that out, but pretty sure he only makes what is available on his site and customization of colour, types of leather and such other than what he advertises is available, but I could be completely wrong.

Hope that helps :)

*EDIT*: From what I gather, lambskin is the most forgiving and ideal leather for throwing in the wash or submersing under water. If you intend on doing this practice with other types of leather, or quality leather, please do your research thoroughly and come back chewing ****** out!

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jacket looks good. Very similar stylistically to a triumph cafe racer jacket I have.

Fitpic?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That sort of pricing is honestly pretty normal for custom made jackets from smaller tailors. The leather won't be anything amazing but looks perfectly serviceable.

Really? Who offers custom leather jackets for $200 CAD?

That seems unusually low, especially given the effort required to draft a pattern. Even online MTM shirts are ~$135 CAD/ ~$100 USD, and that's with pre-drafted patterns and cheap cotton.

Last edited:

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
Sorry, the total was $220CAD incl of taxes and shipping and I did get dinged with a $20 duty charge from UPS even though he did value the article lower than it was for me. Yeah, I'm still pretty stoked.

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
It's actually somewhat of a copy of the Belstaff Stannard jacket but without the zips and rear buckle from the real deal. Also without the 4K price tag for us this side of the border, but hoping in a few years, I can get the original used within my budget. I'll try to get a few fit pics up this week also.:)

It would only be fair to also list the real deal here: http://www.belstaff.eu/men/collecti...ket-black/81020002L81N0286-Black.html#start=1

As for the seller / tailor, unfortunately he oddly does not have any items on Ebay for sale as of last week when I got the jacket?? Went on the site last night and nothing compared to last week. Even the website is no longer up and running, so my guess is that he has probably got heat for infringement or copyright violations of some sort. Dunno. Just thought I'd post this on the thread rather than PM each of you guysl as I've got quite a bit PM's asking for his info from some of you and would hate to give you guys the run around. I'll try shooting him an Ebay email shortly and ask what's going on, as I did communicate with him quite often while the jacket was being made. If, and as soon as I get some info, I'll pass it along to all of you guys publicly.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the wadding in one of my DRs is freaking hot as hell (it's some kind of incredible synthetic material that is seriously insulating). Is there anyway easy way to get rid of it without destroying the fit of the jacket?

Thx.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? Who offers custom leather jackets for $200 CAD?

That seems unusually low, especially given the effort required to draft a pattern. Even online MTM shirts are ~$135 CAD/ ~$100 USD, and that's with pre-drafted patterns and cheap cotton.

I had a jacket made for £170,which admittedly is a little bit more but that was using a nice nubuck as opposed to one of the shop's cheaper leathers.

I exaggerated a little, but you can definitely get nice-enough stuff made for not a great deal more than that.

chocolatelvis

Reaction score
Hey guys. For all those who have blowing my inbox up asking how to get hold of the tailor, please re-read my post #14954 which I've cut and pasted again here:

"As for the seller / tailor, unfortunately he oddly does not have any items on Ebay for sale as of last week when I got the jacket?? Went on the site last night and nothing compared to last week. Even the website is no longer up and running, so my guess is that he has probably got heat for infringement or copyright violations of some sort. Dunno. Just thought I'd post this on the thread rather than PM each of you guysl as I've got quite a bit PM's asking for his info from some of you and would hate to give you guys the run around. I'll try shooting him an Ebay email shortly and ask what's going on, as I did communicate with him quite often while the jacket was being made. If, and as soon as I get some info, I'll pass it along to all of you guys publicly."

Update: I have emailed him earlier today requesting when he expects to have both his Ebay store restocked, his website back up and the reasoning for his site no longer being active, just to be fair and honest for you guys. I just don't want to release any info until I get a clear and precise explanation in the case you guys get burned or whatever. I'm not saying this is the case, I just want to protect you guys, make you happy, and give the man some business. :)

If and when I hear back from him, I'll post on this thread his info along with his response.

Cheers!

herzzreh

Reaction score
Uugh... I can't decide between Context x Schot jacket and Falcon (TOJ) A2. Price is more or less the same, I like both. Opinions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads