• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy clothes that fit your current size or don't buy them at all.
Fit is the most important thing when it comes to clothes, and not understanding how a piece of clothing is going to work out for your body type will only lead to regret. Some pieces and even different sizes will just look better on different sized people.

I think the 50 looks pretty good, for what it's worth.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now, that I am out of school, I have more time to work out and the goal is not just to lose body fat, but to also put on a bit of muscle through weight training. Not planning on a bulky look either. I would have gone 48 if I was just going to lose weight. Right now I don't have a big chest or anything and tend to wear 40" and Size 48 has a chest measurement of 21" and 50 has 22" so I guess my only concern was if I put on muscle in the chest area, then I won't be able to fit in a 48. Right now the chest on 48 is fine, just the waist is a bit tight. The difference between the two sizes isn't that dramatic except that mid-section area where the 50 has a lot of room. Most fit pics I have seen for the 5 zip tend to give a rectangular torso shape, is that how these jackets are supposed to fit anyways. 5 zip just slowly tapers through to the waist unlike the double breasted motos which taper more dramatically to wards the mid-section and then widen towards the waist like Tojs.

just for the record, the current 5 zip has quite a strong taper. the older riri zip models have a boxier shape.

Last edited:

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned/asked before, but how difficult is it to change the color of a leather jacket form a gray-brown to a solid black color?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now, that I am out of school, I have more time to work out and the goal is not just to lose body fat, but to also put on a bit of muscle through weight training. Not planning on a bulky look either. I would have gone 48 if I was just going to lose weight. Right now I don't have a big chest or anything and tend to wear 40" and Size 48 has a chest measurement of 21" and 50 has 22" so I guess my only concern was if I put on muscle in the chest area, then I won't be able to fit in a 48. Right now the chest on 48 is fine, just the waist is a bit tight. The difference between the two sizes isn't that dramatic except that mid-section area where the 50 has a lot of room. Most fit pics I have seen for the 5 zip tend to give a rectangular torso shape, is that how these jackets are supposed to fit anyways. 5 zip just slowly tapers through to the waist unlike the double breasted motos which taper more dramatically to wards the mid-section and then widen towards the waist like Tojs.

So you plan to loose weight, and also put on muscle. So you will loose weight from your waist, chest and shoulders and then put on some weight in your chest and shoulders from lifting. Its pretty much impossible to know how much unless you previously lifted and took time off, and now you just want to get back there (still iffy logic though).

I think the 48 will be too small, as its already looking too small in the shoulders, in my opinion. Especially since this jacket wasn't designed to be worn tight. The 50 would be better bet I think, as it looks decent now.

All that being said, I think you should wait atleast 6 months, to get your noob gains out of the way from lifting and get some fat off, because otherwise I think theres a pretty high chance you'll end up with something that doesn't fit right a few months down the road. Just put the 2k in a savings account, and exercise some self control by not spending it all.

palma

Reaction score

just for the record, the current 5 zip has quite a strong taper. the older riri zip models have a boxier shape.

Oh, I see. But, whenever I see a fit pic at say Mr P or The Corner the shape always looks boxy. I have seen a full range of fit pics for the 5 zip, not sure what is closest to ideal?

So you plan to loose weight, and also put on muscle. So you will loose weight from your waist, chest and shoulders and then put on some weight in your chest and shoulders from lifting. Its pretty much impossible to know how much unless you previously lifted and took time off, and now you just want to get back there (still iffy logic though).

I think the 48 will be too small, as its already looking too small in the shoulders, in my opinion. Especially since this jacket wasn't designed to be worn tight. The 50 would be better bet I think, as it looks decent now.

All that being said, I think you should wait atleast 6 months, to get your noob gains out of the way from lifting and get some fat off, because otherwise I think theres a pretty high chance you'll end up with something that doesn't fit right a few months down the road. Just put the 2k in a savings account, and exercise some self control by not spending it all.

^Ya, I did work out before and was at 160 lbs which was about a year ago. Last year I had a million things going on trying to gun for a competitive residency and all care for health and well-being just took a backseat (yes, I realize the irony). I plan on shedding extra body fat with a clean and calorie-deficit diet and doing a combination of cardio + light lifting. Then, when I feel like my mid-section is back to where it was, I plan on working to put on muscle with serious lifting. I got the skinny fat thing going on right now and really don't want to go through bulk and then cut. Anyways, if the shoulder look awful now, then they'll look at lot worse with muscle. Furthermore, if I consider layering then I suppose it is over for Size 48. The picture with red circles, do you think they show too much excess fabric/leather hanging or acceptable?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess it's more about how it looks/feels to you. but honestly i think for that price (or even a fair bit less) you could find a jacket that flatters your body type much better.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, I see. But, whenever I see a fit pic at say Mr P or The Corner the shape always looks boxy. I have seen a full range of fit pics for the 5 zip, not sure what is closest to ideal?
^Ya, I did work out before and was at 160 lbs which was about a year ago. Last year I had a million things going on trying to gun for a competitive residency and all care for health and well-being just took a backseat (yes, I realize the irony). I plan on shedding extra body fat with a clean and calorie-deficit diet and doing a combination of cardio + light lifting. Then, when I feel like my mid-section is back to where it was, I plan on working to put on muscle with serious lifting. I got the skinny fat thing going on right now and really don't want to go through bulk and then cut. Anyways, if the shoulder look awful now, then they'll look at lot worse with muscle. Furthermore, if I consider layering then I suppose it is over for Size 48. The picture with red circles, do you think they show too much excess fabric/leather hanging or acceptable?

I don't think the excess leather looks bad, looks more like a product of an un-broken-in jacket and an awkward pose. Doesn't appear to be an issue when you're standing upright. Will you often be zipping it all the way up to the neck?

Personally I've never had an issue with a jacket/shirt with an extra inch or so in the chest, just makes it easier to move. Its when the chest gets too tight that things look silly. This jacket looks best when its a bit oversized anyway in my opinion. I think its the way it was designed to be worn.

who8mahrice

Reaction score

I know this has been mentioned/asked before, but how difficult is it to change the color of a leather jacket form a gray-brown to a solid black color?

I think it was...Namor? who posted a thread about it. IIRC, he used Saphir shoe polish to color a ugly gray/brown 5zip to dark brown. There's some other leather recoloring projects here on SF as well.

Found it: http://www.styleforum.net/t/285081/saphir-x-mmm-5-zip-darkening-a-leather-jacket

I'd imagine black would be easier than brown. There's specific leather dyes available as well.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saw this on ebay. Is this jacket going to look dumb on a guy with thick chest, rather than the skinny model used?

The chest and shoulder measurements seem about right, but Im guessing the sleeves are gonna look way bunched on me because Im 5'9 wearing a 50, not 6'3" like this dude probably is

Any general thoughts on the jacket would also be appreciated

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this on ebay. Is this jacket going to look dumb on a guy with thick chest, rather than the skinny model used?

The chest and shoulder measurements seem about right, but Im guessing the sleeves are gonna look way bunched on me because Im 5'9 wearing a 50, not 6'3" like this dude probably is

Any general thoughts on the jacket would also be appreciated
Yeah, sleeves are going to bunch on you like crazy. At 5'9", they'd probably be too long on you in a 48 too. I don't really feel one way or the other about the jacket as a whole. Just my 2c though.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, sleeves are going to bunch on you like crazy.  At 5'9", they'd probably be too long on you in a 48 too.  I don't really feel one way or the other about the jacket as a whole.  Just my 2c though.

RO is notorious for the sleeves and pants stacking, if it's comfy it's part of the look.
My RO sleeves stack and I'm good with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads