• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaymig926

Reaction score
Hello all if anyone’s interested I put up my schott 667h shinki on Grailed size large. lost some weight and now it’s bigger than I would like. Hit me up for the forum discount.
much appreciated

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some Appreciation for a very special client who custom ordered
8FA67719-47D1-442D-B841-42ED62C50F1B.jpeg
3AD2E20C-F3FA-4A78-9007-3D894BC55771.jpeg
9221CC0C-72F1-48B3-AA53-BBCF157931BD.jpeg
299BBFA9-3384-4435-A4A9-35599AE797B3.jpeg
EA34D417-E97D-48E8-88CA-BC75046B9C91.jpeg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you've deduced, beyond a certain price bracket it has nothing to do with quality - after that it is merely a function of exclusivity for the wearer to feel more special than the herd of mere mortals;

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

?
Sorry I don't understand.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
?
Sorry I don't understand.
I'm agreeing with you and providing an example.

You stated that above a certain price point, leather jackets become more about a perception/image/marketing story than about meaningful differences in quality. I've always thought Savas jackets exemplified that concept. People are apparently willing to pay a lot for a serviceable calfskin jacket with "a tradition all its own, where blues and rock music mix with stardust and mystery, like the sound of ancient cultures and old magic echoing across space and time."

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions but all are too rich for my blood.

1. My wife would probably kill me if I spent $3000+ on a leather jacket for her.
2. I honestly don't get the price tag on a lot of these. An Aero leather jacket, as an example, you get a quality leather jacket in a classic style made in the UK for <$1000, and I can customize it. I have zero concern about the quality of materials, labor, or durability. I just don't see the value of these higher priced options.

In that case, I'd go with Schott, as you can find a lot of their stuff under $1000. My wife recently bought the 137W to replace a double rider made by RRL that she bought 6 or 7 years ago, and loves it. I have a lot of experience with their stuff (I probably have a half dozen of their leather jackets) and they are well made, with very good materials, and look fantastic also.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm agreeing with you and providing an example.

You stated that above a certain price point, leather jackets become more about a perception/image/marketing story than about meaningful differences in quality. I've always thought Savas jackets exemplified that concept. People are apparently willing to pay a lot for a serviceable calfskin jacket with "a tradition all its own, where blues and rock music mix with stardust and mystery, like the sound of ancient cultures and old magic echoing across space and time."

I had to look at her RTW offerings and the only thing that stands out for me are the embroidery on the lining and distressed suede denim-looking leather. Outside of that, it's not interesting enough for me especially at 3K+ dollars.

SocialSculptures

Reaction score

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. My wife would probably kill me if I spent $3000+ on a leather jacket for her.
2. I honestly don't get the price tag on a lot of these. An Aero leather jacket, as an example, you get a quality leather jacket in a classic style made in the UK for <$1000, and I can customize it. I have zero concern about the quality of materials, labor, or durability. I just don't see the value of these higher priced options.

Aero, Vanson, and Schott are all good options, but with the weak pound I think Aero is the no-brainer right now. The women's jackets are under $700.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Get a Schott. They have fits dialed in, which is usually more appealing than some exoteric leather or construction.

That said, Khaite is pretty amazing.

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
The savas offerings look alot like the designs tom ford releases every year. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the truckers out but definitely not at the prices they are offering.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The savas offerings look alot like the designs tom ford releases every year. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the truckers out but definitely not at the prices they are offering.

tbh i don't get it . to me those styles aren't supposed to be *elevated* in the first place it would be like buying a $3k version of red wing boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads