• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Grose Shearling Double Rider from @Understatesman

I'm typically size 36, so thought one would size up to 38, but decide to gamble on the 40, glad it worked.

I'm wearing t-shirt under, think I can wear thin knits, highly doubtful I can get 38 to fully zipped up (I know unzipped looked cooler but for practical purpose I definitely want to be able to full zip it up). Shoulder is a bit wider body is probably less slim than 38 but overall I think this is the size to go

View attachment 1711889

View attachment 1711890
GET A HAIRCUT!!!!

Also, nice jacket.

CWV

Reaction score
I just couldn’t rind it. What does APC means?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my own hair every night. I just use a foil shaver and takes about 4-5 min to maintain my bald head.

tgaith77

Reaction score

atelier de production et de création

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Atelier de production et de création if I remember correctly (Production and creation atelier)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great man.

Lets also not forget that the entire zipped/unzipped meme started from @dieworkwear who lives in the Bay area, where the weather is such that zipping up a coat is almost an affectation. If you must zip to get the the utility you need, do zip.
yup, in Northeast you definitely need to be able to zip up, else it would be too hot for early fall, not warm enough by real winter so barely one season

Yea, guys – **** the West Coat.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought this idea was bogus. The idea that, if a leather jacket is uncomfortable in the beginning, you can depend on it stretching out to where it's comfortable. Leathers do sometimes stretch over time, but I wouldn't buy a leather jacket that's uncomfortable on the half chance that it might be comfortable later. IMO, this is the leather version of "size down three in APC" type stuff that was super popular during the uber-slim-fit-denim era.

Right, if the pattern itself does not fit you, that won't right itself. Breaking in the leather itself might be a different matter, though, and someone who doesn't know the difference could get confused.

If the jacket fits in the shoulders and body, can fasten fully without sausaging you, and there aren't any points of obvious fit issues otherwise, then you can assume it fits, and there's just leather break in left to go.

Even this last bit only really applies to certain leathers, like thick Horween horsehide, or the waterproofed leathers on Schott or Lost Worlds jackets.

And the transformation in that case is going from fitting you (at the start) to fitting better post break in. If it doesn't fit at the start, it's not going to.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So anyway, was wearing my own James Grose nappa shearling out a few nights ago and ended up standing in a light-to-heavy on-and-off drizzle for a few hours chatting with friends. Came home, wiped it down with a towel, but I'd like to feel confident I'm doing all I can (other than avoiding rain, too late for that) to help prolong and protect the leather.

What should I do to it at this point?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thx. And does that means? It’s a brand style?

APC is a French clothing brand. About ten or fifteen years ago, their jeans were super popular. People often sized down once, twice, sometimes even three times to get the supposed "correct" fit. The jeans were super uncomfortable that way, but people said you just have to put up with the discomfort and trust that they'll break-in.

Jeans do break in and stretch and conform to the wearer's body. Moreso than other materials. But I've also heard this advice passed on for so many items, including bespoke suits and sport coats. Sometimes a customer will complain and the tailor will say, "let it settle." In that old Aero x Thurston thread, the Thurston rep both claimed that the collar gap was intentional and that it will go away with time (a strange combination). The idea was that, as the leather broke in, the pattern will magically become whatever you hoped it would be.

I think if the pattern is bad in the beginning, it will be bad in the future. People used to size down super hard on their APCs just because it was the thing to do, even though you can just buy the right size.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Grose Shearling Double Rider from @Understatesman

I'm typically size 36, so thought one would size up to 38, but decide to gamble on the 40, glad it worked.

I'm wearing t-shirt under, think I can wear thin knits, highly doubtful I can get 38 to fully zipped up (I know unzipped looked cooler but for practical purpose I definitely want to be able to full zip it up). Shoulder is a bit wider body is probably less slim than 38 but overall I think this is the size to go

View attachment 1711889

View attachment 1711890

Looks awesome, and looks like it goes well with your vibe.

Let's not forget huge props to @Understatesman for paying it forwards!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads