• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arw you referring to Rob’s old bad Violence or is that completely different?
No, "The Ultra-Violence" was Death Angel's first album released in 1987. Youtube the song "The Ultra-Violence", let it start from the beginning and wonder where they've been your whole life. It's good. Then go back and listen to the album.

Fun fact: the drummer was only 14 years old on that album. Frolic Through the Park was a pretty good album too.

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
FCL is definitely long for the styles, I still think often about cutting mine short. I don't want more leather jackets, and I like the leather on this. Maybe one day I'll find a place in nyc and take off like 2-3 inches. Cropped for double riders is the only way to go I I feel.
Chase that dream, Lil' P.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, "The Ultra-Violence" was Death Angel's first album released in 1987. Youtube the song "The Ultra-Violence", let it start from the beginning and wonder where they've been your whole life. It's good. Then go back and listen to the album.

Fun fact: the drummer was only 14 years old on that album. Frolic Through the Park was a pretty good album too.
ahh got it, its the first song they played see https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/death-angel/2021/fox-theater-oakland-ca-b8a55b2.html, i dug it, also lead singer apparently lives in the haight

also fyi, idk their songs well but 2nd time seeing the dudes live

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
rather than do that why not just get another rider that’s shorter?

I am not a fan of altering the designers vision. Ie I won’t shorten RO sleeves or anything of that sort.
Understood, but I don't want another leather jacket, I may as well just sell the one I got and buy another since limited closet space has really turned into an issue recently. I also can see that with RO, but not with a lewis leathers clone. I wouldn't compromise a design that is unique, but the FCL are all repro, so I'll just cut it down to also be cropped like an old school one.

Plus I saw a sick new wave band with a poormans billy idol in a DIY show here a couple weeks back, and they looked pretty good in their vintage leather jacket.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
James Grose Shearling Double Rider from @Understatesman

I'm typically size 36, so thought one would size up to 38, but decide to gamble on the 40, glad it worked.

I'm wearing t-shirt under, think I can wear thin knits, highly doubtful I can get 38 to fully zipped up (I know unzipped looked cooler but for practical purpose I definitely want to be able to full zip it up). Shoulder is a bit wider body is probably less slim than 38 but overall I think this is the size to go

1638206633007.png

1638206645132.png

XWT

Reaction score
Looks great man.

Lets also not forget that the entire zipped/unzipped meme started from @dieworkwear who lives in the Bay area, where the weather is such that zipping up a coat is almost an affectation. If you must zip to get the the utility you need, do zip.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, in Northeast you definitely need to be able to zip up, else it would be too hot for early fall, not warm enough by real winter so barely one season

Reactions: XWT

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That looks real good, man. I know these coats can look great oversized and drapy, but I like this fit as well. I think it falls at your waist perfectly.

Also, what you may think are wide shoulders, aren't really noticeable as "wide" to others. Think of it as "relaxed" in that being slightly wider, they don't stick up like formal points at your shoulders but rather "roll" down the curve of them. It's an intentional decision, I think.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood, but I don't want another leather jacket, I may as well just sell the one I got and buy another since limited closet space has really turned into an issue recently. I also can see that with RO, but not with a lewis leathers clone. I wouldn't compromise a design that is unique, but the FCL are all repro, so I'll just cut it down to also be cropped like an old school one.

Plus I saw a sick new wave band with a poormans billy idol in a DIY show here a couple weeks back, and they looked pretty good in their vintage leather jacket.
Repro or not, there are factors that you should consider before you cut it down. Is there a belt and belt loops on the FCL? That may interfere with how much you can take off and where they'll sit on a shorter jacket. If there's a coin pocket, is it going to sit too low too once you chop off the bottom hem?

Otherwise, go for it. I would.

MrProper

Reaction score

I'm typically size 36, so thought one would size up to 38, but decide to gamble on the 40, glad it worked.

I'm wearing t-shirt under, think I can wear thin knits, highly doubtful I can get 38 to fully zipped up (I know unzipped looked cooler but for practical purpose I definitely want to be able to full zip it up). Shoulder is a bit wider body is probably less slim than 38 but overall I think this is the size to go

View attachment 1711889

View attachment 1711890
Nice jacket. Fits good.
My variant…
94A91F97-EC35-481F-98E1-7661BD55B692.jpeg

Attachments

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that looks really good, more waist definition than I do, probably just means I should hit the gym haha

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1711889

View attachment 1711890
Looks great– not remotely oversized! The shoulder sits like normal leather, not shearling which usually bulges out more. This is about as close as you can get with it.

Perhaps US himself will take this as a sign that he should size up to 44 for similar things.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini poll - How long do you give a jacket to break in before you realize the fit may be off?
I've been "working" on a jacket for about 2 months, and it is still fairly uncomfortable, but I don't know if it is the leather that is not giving me any slack, or if the jacket is cut not to my body type. I suspect the armholes are too high, but I don't know anything.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mini poll - How long do you give a jacket to break in before you realize the fit may be off?
I've been "working" on a jacket for about 2 months, and it is still fairly uncomfortable, but I don't know if it is the leather that is not giving me any slack, or if the jacket is cut not to my body type. I suspect the armholes are too high, but I don't know anything.
I've always thought this idea was bogus. The idea that, if a leather jacket is uncomfortable in the beginning, you can depend on it stretching out to where it's comfortable. Leathers do sometimes stretch over time, but I wouldn't buy a leather jacket that's uncomfortable on the half chance that it might be comfortable later. IMO, this is the leather version of "size down three in APC" type stuff that was super popular during the uber-slim-fit-denim era.

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Crafty Cumbrian

Votes: 8 13.8%