• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Because we've had vendors do this before. Join a conversation, pretend to be interested but in reality just upsetting their product. Cant fully blame you but this aint the right audience for that.

May I ask you what is the best way? Before entering this thread, there was stuff about tennis balls or something so it wasn't like things were on the topic, to begin with. You yourself, are using this thread to talk about Marvel shows.

I was not trying to upsell anything when I entered this thread. I was just trying to share who we were and was responding to things.

What would the best way a new Affiliate can engage in your eyes? Keep to the Affiliate thread? If so, is there content or insights you and others would like to hear to provide value?

In a previous post in this thread, I mentioned the following:

"
In-depth information regarding the tanning process?

How about the fact that the cost of procurement of hides has risen through the roof due to COVID (mixture of logistical costs due to cool storage shipping container prices going through the roof coupled with general logistical cost increases). That there is a huge demand for the hides we use and that there is going to be massive storage in the next few months leading all the way into late next year?

Or about how in the 2010s, the influx of fake leather from China indirectly caused a sort of revolution in leather innovation, starting in Germany?

I also have behind-the-scenes candid videos and images from our production facility the last time I was there (before COVID). Feel free to take a look at those as well."

Would any of these be of interest to you?

EDIT: I also wanted to follow up on my previous question, is this forum not open to new brands then? How can a new brand get involved with the community in your opinion?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we've had vendors do this before. Join a conversation, pretend to be interested but in reality just upsetting their product. Cant fully blame you but this aint the right audience for that.
Actually, I brought up the blue jackets, which I found interesting, just so that we have the timeline correct.

Honestly, it’s worth talking to affiliate vendors, especially those who deal with own brand products. They have insights on anything from the business of fashion to the physical process of production to design schedules. Of course vendors are motivated posters, but it doesn't meant that they don't have meaningful contributions to make. Embedding vendors and professionals directly into the main conversations with hobbyists has always been a fundamental principle of this forum since the very beginning, even before we had formal, paying affiliate vendors.

I will say one thing - when people are paying, they also tend to be much more helpful. There have been maybe a handful of affiliate vendors over the nearly 20 years of our history who have been troublesome. On the other hand, we've had many more non-motivated professionals posting who have caused considerably more issues. Usually, I keep these ideas to Random Fashion Thoughts.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just fwiw, David is wearing a Rick Owens jacket in that scene, iirc, he is in full Rick in that scene. Apparently, the wardrobe budget was low, so he used his own clothes, and they were careful to not have any pieces past 2010 or so, to be consistent with the plot.

He went wild on grailed—there was an interview where he said that he didn't dress like his character.

Edit: in this interview:
How much overlap is there between your personal style and your character David’s?

Almost nothing. I don’t think I would have the sartorial confidence to wear what David wears on the day to day, especially in certain situations. I think David has a confidence or sort of an aggression in the sartorial story he wants to do that is far more—it’s a little bit harder than I am. I don’t wear a lot of black and white—although, now I can’t wear black and white, anyway. I’ve tried and people will come up to me and be like, “You’re wearing David’s clothes!”

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all: I wanna add some zips to my DR's hand pockets and cuffs, possibly even swap out the main zip for a gunmetal or antique silver. Willing to consider straight up silver if you all can convince. From what I just read in the thread, I'm looking for #10 for the main and #5 size for the others. Will probably add on some matching snaps on the lower two lapels.

So what color should I go with?

IMG_6292.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.03.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.04.03 PM.png

verver

Reaction score
Incidentally, I am a customer of many of our affiliate vendors. I don't genrally endorse any of them explicitly, but especailly on the SWD side, I think that it's not hard to see the influence of my personal tastes on our roster of sponsors. I have John Elliott Nikes, Epaulet chelseas, a bunch of Hender Scheme things from Canoe Club, Good Art and leather jackets galore from Self Edge, Dyneema jeans and denim jackets from Taylor Stitch, Peanuts Company keychains from Standard and Strange, enough belts from Eques to build a Fungeon, and the list goes on. It's just stuff that I like, and chief among that stuff are leather jackets, denim, and interesting jewelry and accessories.

Schott is the example I chose because they are a widely known brand with a lot of range. You can actually get a good sheepskin jacket from Schott at a reasonable price, in about the $400-500 range. They also do some less expensuve jackets for Urban Outfitters and other brands catering to the lower end of the market. You can also get a Horween horse chromexel leather jacket for $1450 (I have one) or a roughout jacket with Good Art accents for $1100 or so (I honestly don't remember what I paid), or a RRL collaboration for $2400.
I think the whole disconnect with TOA is that it’s not “on brand” with you, Fok, at all. U answered it urself, above. U r a trusted purveyor, and I personally would buy stuff, as u, from JE, self edge, canoe club, nmwa, etc etc, as you. I got the the schottx316 roughout, after u raved about it, and I love it. TOA is not anything authentic to you, and I think that’s why everyone has such agita in this thread. Especially when thread is dedicated to leather jackets BEST seen/owned.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all: I wanna add some zips to my DR's hand pockets and cuffs, possibly even swap out the main zip for a gunmetal or antique silver.

Are you dead set on this? It's (at least) the second time you bring this up and I will strongly advice against it. There are plenty of good DR out there that have zips in the places you want.

This specific DR seems to be suited to the zipperless pockest with its minimal hardware.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the whole disconnect with TOA is that it’s not “on brand” with you, Fok, at all. U answered it urself, above. U r a trusted purveyor, and I personally would buy stuff, as u, from JE, self edge, canoe club, nmwa, etc etc, as you. I got the the schottx316 roughout, after u raved about it, and I love it. TOA is not anything authentic to you, and I think that’s why everyone has such agita in this thread. Especially when thread is dedicated to leather jackets BEST seen/owned.
If everything was on brand for me, this forum would be 100% heavy leather, super heavy denim, jewelry, light colored footwear, and every brand of belt. And vintage watches and modern pocket knives. And everything would range from expensive to more expensive. I have a very specific wardrobe, and in my life, I’ve prioritized clothing and accessories over other discretionary spending, and been lucky enough to be able to do so. You’ll find me posting regularly about those things, though less so in the past year since I’ve been using a lot more time doing scientific research than I have for close to a decade now.

However, not everyone is me, and I do regularly highlight and promote brands and products that I myself don’t wear but the I think represent a good value or are the top of class, even if I don’t personally get a lot of use from them. What is on brand for me is that I’ve always been against that “if it’s not X,Y, and Z that I personally like, it’s shite” attitude that I’ve seen from some other site owners.

I have one of the jackets in my sample pile right now. I said that it fit well, the build quality is decent, and think that a lot of people not looking to drop $1K+ on a leather jacket that you could run over with a car could really like it.

And the blue is nice. And I like the treatment. That part is very on brand for me, if you are looking for things that suggest that my posts were in earnest. If you don’t like it, it’s fine. And personally, I would want it to be much heavier, tougher leather for me to consider it. But it has merit for many customers not called Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you dead set on this? It's (at least) the second time you bring this up and I will strongly advice against it. There are plenty of good DR out there that have zips in the places you want.

This specific DR seems to be suited to the zipperless pockest with its minimal hardware.
Honestly, I think that zips on hip pockets are nearly always preferable. Otherwise, you inevitably get baggy sacks on the sides. I always look for that, or at very least get invisible zippers put in.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that zips on hip pockets are nearly always preferable. Otherwise, you inevitably get baggy sacks on the sides. I always look for that, or at very least get invisible zippers put in.

Fair point. I don't dislike the bagging myself, but I'm thinking about stuff like the Freewheelers Caboose and Bodie as examples... not really a comparable vibe.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the the schottx316 roughout, after u raved about it, and I love it.
That was a sweet jacket. I do wish that they hadn’t had to thin out the leather at the shoulders, but I get why they did. Otherwise, It’s a definite gem.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for all: I wanna add some zips to my DR's hand pockets and cuffs, possibly even swap out the main zip for a gunmetal or antique silver. Willing to consider straight up silver if you all can convince. From what I just read in the thread, I'm looking for #10 for the main and #5 size for the others. Will probably add on some matching snaps on the lower two lapels.

So what color should I go with?

View attachment 1628666

View attachment 1628667

View attachment 1628668

What's the problem you are seeking to address? Are you looking make the jacket more appealing/wearable, or do you currently enjoy the jacket and just wish to add some pizazz?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads