• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the problem you are seeking to address? Are you looking make the jacket more appealing/wearable, or do you currently enjoy the jacket and just wish to add some pizazz?

Well, I intend on having it altered taking away about 1/2 an inch from the body length. So while I do that, I want to address some other things that bug me like the floppy cuffs. When buttoned, the **** balloons open to the point even the inner cuff liner piece works it way out the hole. Putting zippers on the cuffs would streamline and taper the area.

IMG_6669.jpg

As for the hand pockets, I think like Fok does. They look sloppy just there plain. While they don't gape open or anything, I believe they should match if I'm adding zippers here and there. And zippers there would at least give me some bling if I do decide to intentionally leave them open.

Metalwise, I'm not a fan of brass zips. I have it on my FCL Roberts and this jacket. And a blacked out zippers on my RL cafe racer. I wanna mix it up. I'm thinking antique nickel would be good.

Adding lapel snaps I could give or take. I probably won't add them since I don't wanna completely transform this versatile jacket into a straight up biker.

That said, I think the TOJ might be my fav jacket. It's so damn faded and worn, yet not torn or with holes anywhere, it's a genuine beater jacket.

Last edited:

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding leather thickness - is it foolish to believe that the thicker the leather, the more long lasting and durable it will be? I've never thought about leather thickness before, but seeing as brands like Fine Creek highlight the mm thickness...would one be better off getting a 2mm vs a 1.8mm vs a 1.3mm, if price is the same across the board?

The only issue I see with the 2mm is that it would be heavier thus can't be worn when it is slightly warmer...but I may forgo this aspect for durability (if that is even the case)

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding leather thickness - is it foolish to believe that the thicker the leather, the more long lasting and durable it will be? I've never thought about leather thickness before, but seeing as brands like Fine Creek highlight the mm thickness...would one be better off getting a 2mm vs a 1.8mm vs a 1.3mm, if price is the same across the board?

The only issue I see with the 2mm is that it would be heavier thus can't be worn when it is slightly warmer...but I may forgo this aspect for durability (if that is even the case)

That would depend on the construction of the garment. The stitching on thicker leathers are more difficult to do so if it's done sloppy, it may rip open.

There's also the fact if you wear it one size small and use it to lie in bed to get off, it will rip open.

Anyway, what are you looking for that you're considering something as heavy as 2mm?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I intend on having it altered taking away about 1/2 an inch from the body length. So while I do that, I want to address some other things that bug me like the floppy cuffs. When buttoned, the **** balloons open to the point even the inner cuff liner piece works it way out the hole. Putting zippers on the cuffs would streamline and taper the area.

View attachment 1628758

As for the hand pockets, I think like Fok does. They look sloppy just there plain. While they don't gape open or anything, I believe they should match if I'm adding zippers here and there. And zippers there would at least give me some bling if I do decide to intentionally leave them open.

Metalwise, I'm not a fan of brass zips. I have it on my FCL Roberts and this jacket. And a blacked out zippers on my RL cafe racer. I wanna mix it up. I'm thinking antique nickel would be good.

Adding lapel snaps I could give or take. I probably won't add them since I don't wanna completely transform this versatile jacket into a straight up biker.

That said, I think the TOJ might be my fav jacket. It's so damn faded and worn, yet not torn or with holes anywhere, it's a genuine beater jacket.

If it is a favorite jacket of yours, then I'd say at least some of those additions/alterations are worth it. My only question would be if the worn state prevents some or all of those changes – for example, I wonder if removing stitching and then installing zippers would be untenable because the leather along forearm would be weakened.

When the Falcon Garments folk re-did the arms on my custom order, they just took the sleeves off altogether and replaced them with new ones.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just fwiw, David is wearing a Rick Owens jacket in that scene, iirc, he is in full Rick in that scene. Apparently, the wardrobe budget was low, so he used his own clothes, and they were careful to not have any pieces past 2010 or so, to be consistent with the plot.
Yeah, he talked about how walking around in real life, people would come up to him and crack up that he was dressing like David...
He's like, these are my clothes!!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is a favorite jacket of yours, then I'd say at least some of those additions/alterations are worth it. My only question would be if the worn state prevents some or all of those changes – for example, I wonder if removing stitching and then installing zippers would be untenable because the leather along forearm would be weakened.

When the Falcon Garments folk re-did the arms on my custom order, they just took the sleeves off altogether and replaced them with new ones.
Are you including the extra set of arms in your sale?

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would depend on the construction of the garment. The stitching on thicker leathers are more difficult to do so if it's done sloppy, it may rip open.

There's also the fact if you wear it one size small and use it to lie in bed to get off, it will rip open.

Anyway, what are you looking for that you're considering something as heavy as 2mm?

Is 2mm really that heavy? Anyway, I noticed a shop had FCL Leons in both a 2mm and a 1.3mm, for the same price and in my caveman dumb dumb brain I was like, "duh, thicker leather = better deal"

Side note, @LA Guy I read that John Walker's Captain America helmet was SUPPOSED to fit poorly...subconsciously giving viewers a sense of unease when they looked at him, as he wasn't fit to be Cap

And while I absolutely loved WandaVision, that last episode to me was a disappointment. But I built it up in my head too much, so maybe that was my fault.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is 2mm really that heavy? Anyway, I noticed a shop had FCL Leons in both a 2mm and a 1.3mm, for the same price and in my caveman dumb dumb brain I was like, "duh, thicker leather = better deal"

If it's for casual use, it's a bit too much. You'd rather get it at around 1mm or 1.2mm if you want something substantial yet comfortable. At around 1.5mm, that's already used for riding a bike. I mean if you enjoy breaking in stuff like a pair of heavy denim, go ahead. It may take time for something that heavy.

If we're just talking about leather, obviously the thicker it is, the more durable. But as a garment, a lot of factors are in play.

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here handled the Real McCoy's J-24 AND the J-24L and can speak to size differences, other than length?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Side note, @LA Guy I read that John Walker's Captain America helmet was SUPPOSED to fit poorly...subconsciously giving viewers a sense of unease when they looked at him, as he wasn't fit to be Cap

And while I absolutely loved WandaVision, that last episode to me was a disappointment. But I built it up in my head too much, so maybe that was my fault.
I wasn’t talking about Walker’s helmet, but Sam’s. I mean, the Wakandans obviously have great production, but piss poor designers. They made a suit of armor with the old whack on the head being the obvious weakness, and even more so since anyone looking at Sam flying towards them will see it straight on. It’s like they thought they were designing the Death Star of super suits.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's for casual use, it's a bit too much. You'd rather get it at around 1mm or 1.2mm if you want something substantial yet comfortable. At around 1.5mm, that's already used for riding a bike. I mean if you enjoy breaking in stuff like a pair of heavy denim, go ahead. It may take time for something that heavy.

If we're just talking about leather, obviously the thicker it is, the more durable. But as a garment, a lot of factors are in play.
Even as leather, it depends on the treatment. But all other things being equal, yes, the thickness does matter.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1628758

Don't know if you're looking for feedback, but the sleeve seems a bit too tight for you

Adobe_20210622_183218.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads