• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed, I kind of like this one but have no clue how to size it

Artking3

Reaction score

With over 10 thousand posts, I think it's safe to say we are talking about leather jackets.

The occasional sidebar about democratization of luxury branding or fashion in general is a reasonably valid topic to discuss in most fashion threads.

Gang-whining about being off topic is actually far more annoying than off-topic banter, and off-topic itself.

One post requesting to get back on topic is hardly gang-whining.

Talking about luxury branding is a valid topic. So start a new thread to discuss it.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LV purses are everywhere because they are replicated so frequently and they are easily distinguished from other purses, my Aunt has 5 real ones and a couple fakes she dosent care if their real or not. I believe that a lot of people that wear LV don't care if there real or not they wear it only for the image.

I think in its purest form, when someone buys a luxury item like a LV monogram canvas bag, the reason they buy it is because of the pleasure that they get owning a beautifully designed bag made of good materials that will last a long time and will get a lot of use.

The monogram canvas material itself is pure luxury because its lightweight, sturdy, and very durable. The same with the Prada nylon materials, when crafted into bags, they are super functional. The logos and branding is the least important, it's just a way of putting a stamp of approval that you are owning a great product. And that's the real reason why people buy them.

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in its purest form, when someone buys a luxury item like a LV monogram canvas bag, the reason they buy it is because of the pleasure that they get owning a beautifully designed bag made of good materials that will last a long time and will get a lot of use.

The monogram canvas material itself is pure luxury because its lightweight, sturdy, and very durable. The same with the Prada nylon materials, when crafted into bags, they are super functional. The logos and branding is the least important, it's just a way of putting a stamp of approval that you are owning a great product. And that's the real reason why people buy them.

This is it. This is the most bullshit post on all of styleforum.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope so because I love colabear posts.

This Japanese site compares the two different lamb leathers that Rick put out last season.
http://www.deepinsideinc.com/blog_byintention/?p=15645

#1 is "rugged" (LR) lamb which features distressing.
#2 is "glass ice" (LGI) which features more of a sheen to it.

The glass ice model gets a lot of flak online. I think it looks good in those pictures though.

What do you guys think?

I think @artishard116 has one of these more recent Intarsia leathers?

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen LR before, pictures make it look a bit thicker so I hope it's nice. Handled made in Moldova LGI. Was unimpressed b/c it seemed too thin, but maybe I just didn't like the price tag
shog[1].gif
. Someone with more experience should chime in

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen LR before, pictures make it look a bit thicker so I hope it's nice. Handled made in Moldova LGI. Was unimpressed b/c it seemed too thin, but maybe I just didn't like the price tag
shog[1].gif
. Someone with more experience should chime in

Some of those LGI's have been dipping into the $1000 usd territory. Still not sure if its worth that though.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stackson

Reaction score
Aren't LV sunglasses made by Luxottica though? IMO there are many better options in that price range or less (I can't think of any particularly unique designs, but I don't follow LV sunglasses closely).

They are except for a couple pairs that are made in France. I used to be addicted to sunglasses and had quite a few pairs before I realized I only wear 1-2. I have two pairs of LV glasses, both of which I liked the style, they fit of and I haven't seen any where else. I have been focussing on other purchases, like more leather jackets (staying on topic) but my next pair of sunglasses will be Mykita. Been eyeing those for awhile, no pun intended.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have any experience with Phillip Lim leather quality?

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys:

What makes jacket leather 'good' quality?

Is it the thickness? The texture? The treatment? The hand feel? Is a leather good quality if it has that rubbery, meaty feel to it? Is it bad if it has that dry, smooth feel?

There are some designers that treat their lambskin so heavily that it ends up feeling almost like pleather in terms of hand feel, to the point to where it doesn't have that feeling of wet, fleshy silk when held loosely. At the same time there are entry-level brands like Schott who put out a naked cowhide leather that feels very substantial in that rubbery type of way that just feels like 'good quality' to hold.

I just feel like there are elements I'm not quite getting here in terms of gauging quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads